VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this is going to sound vague, but something stinks and it's coming from my car. someone said it smelled like the clutch, but i know what that smells like, and it's not that. (at least i think it's not). my check engine light is on, but the guy told me @ 1st it was the oxygen sensors. but when i went back he said it didnt throw that code anymore, but it threw the code for the secondary air pump. anyone know what it could be? it's embarrassing when i pull up to ppl and my car stinks.

[Modified by ebxgsxr, 11:52 AM 4-9-2002]

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Re: something stinks, and it's my car :( (ebxgsxr)

Try switching gas stations... and use high octane if possible.
Most likely it is your catalytic converter being over stressed by a failing O2 sensor. But try the gas thing first and see if it goes away in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: something stinks, and it's my car :( (euro sport)

i use 93 octane already. actually, i noticed more of a smell when i switched from 87 to 93???
u think it could b the O2 sensor? the mechanic told me that the O2 sensor code wasnt thrown anymore?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts

Do you use the same gas station? or switch periodically?
I've never had this problem, but I've heard numerous stories on here of people switching their usual gas station and curing the rotten egg smell.
What year is your car and how many miles are on it?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Re: something stinks, and it's my car :( (Magnaflow.CA)

I think O2's can go bad without throwing a CEL. At least I recall that from earlier discussion on the topic. The fact that it did throw a code at one point, would make me wonder.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: something stinks, and it's my car :( (Frankenwagen)

well, i try to use amoco 93 as much as possible. but the closest station is a royal farms/enroy. they have 93, and usually when im on empty i stop by and fill up. but other times i've put texaco 93, shell, and mobil. as for the car, it's a 98 vr6 gti with about 80,500 miles.

·
Registered
484 Posts

I just started getting that too--a rotten egg smell points to the catalytic converter. I just ordered a new o2 sensor and will be cleaning my MAF with some alcohol.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Re: something stinks, and it's my car :( (PhOO)

i don't think injector cleaner would do the trick. i had my mechanic remove my injectors and clean them and it still stinks and from what i hear injector cleaner is like trying to get a car detail quality wash job at the spray wash. it might do what it says if its used from day one, but i doubt it will break up gunk that has set up.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: something stinks, and it's my car :( (cmflossin)

i mean i did put some in my car on my last fill up. i know my friends used to work @ a jiffy llube, and when he cleaned my bro's injectors on his car, it stunk up the bay. would this or could this be the same type of thing?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.