VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I go out to my 'roc this morning.... try to start it up... nothing. It's like it doesn't have a battery. I checked to see if maybe some theiving bastard stole the battery.... nope, still there. I caN't check the fuses because my fingernails are too long

Sometimes I want to shoot this car but the transit system really sucks.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Re: Sometimes I hate my car. (SciroccoGirl)

Marie,
If you turn the key to start it and you get no dash lights then I'd suspect either the battery being totally dead (left something on that drained it) or a loose battery cable. You might check to see if the cables.
A new battery or tightening of the cables would probably fix this.
If you have dash lights but the car won't crank (and the dash lights don't dim when you attempt this) I'd suspect the small red wire on the starter (not the one from the battery).
If the dash lights dim when you attempt to start the car or the starter barely turns over than the battery would once again probably be the culprit.
It could be a dozen different things but these would probably be a good place to start.
HTH

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Re: Sometimes I hate my car. (Sirocco)

quote:[HR][/HR]Marie,
If you turn the key to start it and you get no dash lights then I'd suspect either the battery being totally dead (left something on that drained it) or a loose battery cable. You might check to see if the cables.
A new battery or tightening of the cables would probably fix this.[HR][/HR]​
Excellent advice. One night years ago I was driving on a country road and my car suddenly died. No lights no nothin'! It was pitch black, and no moon . . . no streetlights.
Dumbfounded, I popped the hood, brailled my way to the front of the car with a 10mm wrench and checked the battery terminals. I tightened them up and "presto", the damn thing was running again. I could not believe that a battery cable that surrounds the post could not conduct electricity - but there it was staring me in the face . . .
Still seems weird to me . . .

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Sometimes I hate my car. (Mash)

Well, I discovered the problem, and it was indeed the battery....the cells had dried right out and yeah, I probably left the city lights on
Had to replace the battery, the mobile Insterstate guy owns especially when our shop has an account with him

Problem solved, the 'Roc is happily sleeping in my driveway

Thanks for the help, gang!

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Re: Sometimes I hate my car. (Mash)

Excellent advice. One night years ago I was driving on a country road and my car suddenly died. No lights no nothin'! It was pitch black, and no moon . . . no streetlights.
Dumbfounded, I popped the hood, brailled my way to the front of the car with a 10mm wrench and checked the battery terminals. I tightened them up and "presto", the damn thing was running again. I could not believe that a battery cable that surrounds the post could not conduct electricity - but there it was staring me in the face . . .
Still seems weird to me . . .
hmmm how much time had passed during all of this? did you find any unexplained scars on your body? sounds like an x file to me

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.