VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SON OF A!!!! Brakes light on, ABS wont pressurize. HELP!

I was driving along accelerating through first gear, hit second and I hear this boom. Now, I thought it was fireworks since I was right by a park thats supposed to be putting on a HUGE fireworks display tonight. Don't ask me why not until tomorrow.
Anyways, thats what I thought the noise was. Then I just happened to notice my brake light on. Great... Just what I need the day before I won't be able to get jack **** to fix the car. Now the ABS pump runs constantly.
So WTF happened? I think I know, but I wanted to get your opinions. Did the "bomb" on my abs unit crap out? Is there any chance in hell I might be able to score something like this at pep boys or any other national chain that MIGHT be open tomorrow?
2nd. Is it safe to drive the car like this in case I cannot get parts to fix it? I assume I'll just have no power assist correct? I guess I should probably disconnect the ABS pump to keep it from damaging it self from running non stop too right?

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: SON OF A!!!! Brakes light on, ABS wont pressurize. HELP! (WhiteG60)

No... It felt normal...
I just went outside and turned the ignition on. ABS pump came on, ran for about 20 seconds, turned off and then the light went out.
STUPID CORRADOS!!!!

·
Registered
14,467 Posts
Re: SON OF A!!!! Brakes light on, ABS wont pressurize. HELP! (vw mofo)

Quote, originally posted by vw mofo »
No... It felt normal...
I just went outside and turned the ignition on. ABS pump came on, ran for about 20 seconds, turned off and then the light went out.
STUPID CORRADOS!!!!

im a firm believer in letting stuff fix themselves, currently im waiting for my headlights to get passsed their indifferences and get back together after some what of a long fiesty relationship.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Re: SON OF A!!!! Brakes light on, ABS wont pressurize. HELP! (NVmyVW)

Quote, originally posted by NVmyVW »

im a firm believer in letting stuff fix themselves, currently im waiting for my headlights to get passsed their indifferences and get back together after some what of a long fiesty relationship.

im the same way, currently im waiting for the dent in my fender to fix itself, and the rats nest of wiring to right itself.... hey the same tactic worked for my broken passenger seatbelt, it now works perfectly http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bringing this back up to the top to see if we can figure out why it happened.
Also, ever since this happened my brake pedal has felt ALOT more firm. It's not hard to push it, but I feel it doing something alot sooner than it used to.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Re: (vw mofo)

Mine does this at cold startup too... the light stays on for over a minute and the brakes are hard as hell. they work fine, like Keith said, the brakes start immediately after pressing the pedal, instead of about 1/4 of the way down like they used to. Any help with this would be appreciated, for both of us, I am sure.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Re: (Milkysunshine)

Mine is doing the same thing. I am sure the pump is on its last leg. Lucky I have a spare, but it looks like a B to change out. If I were you, and didn't have a spare, I would look into converting over to a non-ABS solution. Seeing how these things are like a couple of thousand from the dealer. If you get a used one, IMO thats what you are getting, another unit on its last leg, so the swap will be cheaper in the long run.

·
Banned
2,234 Posts
Re: (hitmanhite)

It is either your relay (ABS) located behind the relay box(on a seperate "pedestal",or your "bomb" accumulator has gone out or your pressure switch (located on the side of the ABS unit)has crapped out.I would change "the bomb" first,that is more than likely the culprit due to the "noise" you heard.If it fails it will not hold pressure and your pump will keep running.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts