VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guy I work with keeps pestering me to race him, so I finally gave in. He has a 99 VW GTI VR6. I don't know if he's done any mods, but I assume the most he's done is chip, exahust, and intake (he doesn't make nearly enough $$ as me
)
So we are going to race from a rolling start from one highway exit to another. What do you think the outcome will be?

· Registered
282 Posts
Re: Soo what are my chances against a 99 GTI VR6? (misterq)

Oh! almost forgot. Watch your RPM for 1 second only no more. Turn AC off,
Get there before him and turn off the car until show time. trust me on this one. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Yea, I know about S mode man.. although I like using the paddles and the lever, you can't beat S mode. I like to refer to it as speeding ticket mode, or **** you're crazy mode
Like I said, I doubt he has a supercharger or turbo or anything

· Registered
282 Posts
Re: Soo what are my chances against a 99 GTI VR6? (mixmaster-mo)

Quote, originally posted by mixmaster-mo »
Like I said, I doubt he has a supercharger or turbo or anything

Yer niever kneow, I got a good scare from a beatup 99 MitsuSpitsu Cancer, i meant Lancer, and i don't know waht the heck he had under there besides the fart can. So until he doesn't pop that hood: Yer niever kneow.

· Registered
2,451 Posts

Quote, originally posted by misterq »
Yer niever kneow, I got a good scare from a beatup 99 MitsuSpitsu Cancer, i meant Lancer, and i don't know waht the heck he had under there besides the fart can. So until he doesn't pop that hood: Yer niever kneow.

nawz

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (3dr A3 3.2)

I didn't look under his hood, so I don't know if it was the 2.8 12v or something else.. (supposedly he blew his engine racing once, and had another one dropped in, but if it was the same kind of engine, then it was the 12v)
So last night, I went to my job to meet him. He was giving 2 other people a ride, so he claimed from the start that he was at a disadvantage. (Which is doo doo really, his car weighs about 2800 lbs, mine almost 3400... both those other people in his car had a 300 lb max combined weight)
So we agreed to do a run from the onramp to the highway, up until the next exit. He went first, and there was a car in between us on the onramp. I was even nice and followed him until he got into a clear lane. I then pulled into the lane left of him.. keep in mind he is ahead by 2 car lenghts at least. I put the car in "Smoke him" mode, and it didn't take long for me to pass him, and eventually leave him far, far behind. By the time we reached that exit (the finish line) I had him by over 10 car lengths.
The entire section of the highway we raced on is ~1 mile.. I'm gonna say 7 tenths of a mile.
I hope this shuts him up

· Registered
493 Posts
Re: (mixmaster-mo)

Quote, originally posted by mixmaster-mo »

So last night, I went to my job to meet him. He was giving 2 other people a ride, so he claimed from the start that he was at a disadvantage. (Which is doo doo really, his car weighs about 2800 lbs, mine almost 3400... both those other people in his car had a 300 lb max combined weight)

The reason why he lost that bad was because he had 2 people in his car. Weight makes a huge difference. I had a 12v VR6, and driven the A3 6-speed. Its a driver's race.
Try a one on one http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by VR6PAYNE at 9:01 PM 9-10-2005

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (VR6PAYNE)

Quote, originally posted by VR6PAYNE »
The reason why he lost that bad was because he had 2 people in his car. Weight makes a huge difference. I had a 12v VR6, and driven the A3 6-speed. Its a driver's race.
Try a one on one http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by VR6PAYNE at 9:01 PM 9-10-2005

I will do one on one, but I doubt the weight difference will give him much an advantage. I beat this guy.. I mean.. I really beat him bad. I said it was at least 10 car lengths. Probably close to 20.
300lbs less isn't going to make him fly, because that is what he'd need to do to catch up to me. I gave him a head start for crying out loud.

· Registered
2,873 Posts
Re: (mixmaster-mo)

Is it an early 99 that is the MK3 body style or the later 99 that is the MK4 body style.
That will make a difference mainly becuase of weight.. But also stock for stock the MK3 is much stiffer suspension wise then the Mk4 and that can affect its performance.
If its a Mk3 with no mods with one person in each car I"d say it would be a fairly close race.. favor possibly going to the A3.. If it was a Mk4 with one person in each.. A3 definitly.
My brothers MK3 is at the shop now.. chip, cams, intake suspension... And it would definitly give me a good run for my money in the A3.. My jetta on the other hand completely walks away from it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.