VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Re: Sorry to all you California guys with '75s (Sozsei)

What's the fine in Cali for no inspection sticker?

·
Registered
3,070 Posts

looks like it's time to register my car using my cousins Nevada address. F*CK this bull****!
cali legislators dropped the ball and haven't met smog standards that were set years ago. So now the car community is going to pay..again.

·
Registered
18,229 Posts
Re: Sorry to all you California guys with '75s (MattyDVR6)

Thank god I moved to AZ back in '92! Of course, anything CA does, AZ copies

As if tightening up emissions on passenger cars is going to solve the problem

·
Premium Member
22,008 Posts
Re: Sorry to all you California guys with '75s (kamzcab86)

Quote, originally posted by sfgate.com »
The other car bill, authored by Assemblywoman Sally Lieber, D-Mountain View, will end the state's practice of allowing any car that turns 30 to avoid smog checks.
Lieber spoke Thursday from her Bay Area district office, which remained under CHP protection because of a death threat she received related to the measure.

Alright, which one of you swallowtail owners was it ?!

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Re: Sorry to all you California guys with '75s (vlksdragon)

Stupidity 1:
"Hybrids that will qualify must get 45 mpg, which currently is only the Prius or Honda Civic hybrid."
Stupid cause IIRC a Rabbit Diesel does much better than that.
Stupidity 2:
"Lieber says cars built in the mid-1970s emit 155 times more hydrocarbons than current models and that the law will lead to the removal of 6 tons of chemicals that cause smog per day."
But she forgets that cars of this vintage probably constitute less than a full percentage of cars on the road.
Something about "post graduate" education and public office make certain individuals really stupid.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Re: Sorry to all you California guys with '75s (kamzcab86)

Quote, originally posted by kamzcab86 »
Thank god I moved to AZ back in '92! Of course, anything CA does, AZ copies

Oh so true so other states better watch out.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Re: Sorry to all you California guys with '75s (fwdvw)

Rodney, the government "cares" about emissions, not MPG. I agree with you though about these a$$es making laws for things they know nothing about!
Anyone in California that wants to run out of state plates, register your car in a WA county that doesn't require smog. I run Washington plates myself because I want to tell the EPA to shove it. I have run the plates for about 6 or 7 months now, and nobody has said anything, although I do live in a small town.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Re: Sorry to all you California guys with '75s (Goat)

Quote, originally posted by Goat »
I run Washington plates myself because I want to tell the EPA to shove it. I have run the plates for about 6 or 7 months now, and nobody has said anything, although I do live in a small town.

do you have to show proof of residency in Washington to do this?
in my experience so far (knock on wood), i've found there are still ways to get around smog with a little extra cash. but, it is getting harder. no way in hell is my rabbit legal, not even close.
alot of CHP's are still so clueless about older VW's because i think they school them most to look out for modded hondas (have seen a few on the side of the freeway near san jose with the hoods popped getting the look over) when i got pulled over for speeding 5mph over just a month ago during that insane crackdown they had on 80 for a day, the cops didn't even check me out at all even though i had a set of racewheels on slicks in the back..

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Re: Sorry to all you California guys with '75s (robbf23)

Quote, originally posted by robbf23 »

do you have to show proof of residency in Washington to do this?

Yes, you will have to have a WA address. The nice thing is, is that you can show up with you CA lisence when you go to register the car.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Re: Sorry to all you California guys with '75s (Goat)

I was kinda guessing this might happen.... I now have to ramp up in restoring not only the car, but also all of the smog stuff. The hardest part is making the car pass visual. I have been collecting the CA specific smog stuff for the 76 for about a year. With a little work, I should be able to get it running very well, and have a spare "smog check" motor to run in my car. Still kinda sucks, though.
Nate, looks like you and I are gonna have to rebuild that 75 motor after all....

·
Banned
11,395 Posts
Re: Sorry to all you California guys with '75s (dbreid)

woulda been nice to be able to have the ole grandfather clause but oh well. Thats why i only tune my diesel out here. my mk1 is stock to the core and passes smog, im lucky.
arnold gets the http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif on that one.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Re: Sorry to all you California guys with '75s (Mr.golf)

Doesn't Arnold have 82 Humvees or something? And my 1.6L is polluting the air. Uh huh.
I do believe that at some point within the next two years, I will have a diesel motor in my Rabbit for about a month.

·
Banned
11,395 Posts

trade me cars bro, mines a gas by birth. I need your green too

arnolds restaursant Shatzi is right down the street from my house, i see him drivin his hummers from time to time. I'll steal his valve stem cores if i ever see it parked.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

OH MY GOD! you have no idea how devastating this is for me! What the **** am I supposed to do now? Could I buy the original motor back for my '75 Dan? I'm so screwed!
Maybe the referee will pass my megasquirt injected 8v... or not. I feel like months of work have been wasted, and I really don't have time right now to deal with this ****.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.