VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone :wave:

You might have [url="http://www.vwvortex.com/news/jamie-orr-going-south-africa-put-vr6-mk1-golf-built-90s/]read on the VWVortex News page[/url] that I'm going to go on an adventure to build a Mk1 Citi Golf in South Africa. The basics are that over a period of 5 days in Johannesburg, I will install a VR6 engine into a later model Mk1 Golf, and then drive it 1,000 miles across South Africa.

The Citi Golfs are basically Mk1 4 door Rabbit/Golfs that were produced locally in South Africa until 2009/10. As the car will be coming to the USA after it's been across SA, and around Europe, I can only use a 1993 or earlier. I'm going to aim for a '1989-1993 model, in one of the classic red, yellow, or blue, colorways. I was originally planning to buy a early VR6 engine there, but local pricing there and import stuff, meant that I've decided to use a USA engine, and of course have gone with the biggest 3.6l 280hp version :laugh:

Once the car is finished (if the..?), I'll drive it north in South Africa to the VW CampFest which is the largest VW/Audi show on the continent, before turning south and driving 1,000km to the VW Factory in Port Elizabeth where the car was produced. It will then be shipped to Europe, where I'll take it to the VW Wolfsburg factory, and onto the Worthersee show. On the way north after that we'll take the car to Nurburgring for a final test, before it's shipped to the USA with the VW Group.

That's the basic plan anyway..

SCHEDULE
January 2018
Sat 27th - Arrive in Johannesburg

Sun 28th - Project starts! Inspect car, pull motor, pull interior, prepare VR6.
Mon 29th - Prepare wiring, install suspension, install fuel system, install brakes, body work.
Tues 30th - VR6 engine in, body work.
Wed 31st - Wiring, work, work, work.
Thu 1st - Wheels, tires, finishing, alignment, exhaust.

Fri 2nd - Drive to VW Campfest(!), polish car.
Sat 3rd - CampFest
Sun 4th - CampFest
Mon 5th - Last minute repairs, photos, start the drive to the VW Factory, Uitenhage (1,100km drive)
Tue 6th - Stop to make school supplies donation to children. Finish drive to Uitenhage.
Wed 7th - Factory Tour, drop car off at VW Port to go to Europe.
Thu 8th - Back to JoBurg
Fri 9th - Fly back to USA

The Project

> I'm still looking for the right car.. Although Citi Golfs were made until 2009/2010, but USA import regulations mean that a 1993 is the newest that can come here. It just so happens that I love the original '89-'93 models in the two-tone white and yellow, red, or blue, so that's what I'm aiming to buy.

> The engine is a 3.6 FSI from a 2007 Passat 4Motion in the USA, which was supplied by Autohaas, in Paterson, NJ. It's complete with the ECU, wiring, drive-by-wire throttle pedal, and the fuel pump control module. These engine produce about 280hp (208kW) from the factory, and should be around 300hp (220kW) once tuned. VR6 engines, especially the bigger ones, aren't easy to find in SA, so I've decided to Air Freight this engine to Johannesburg. Yes, this project is nuts.

> Installing the engine that is literally double the size of Mk1 GTI engine will be done using the Eurowise VR6 install kit. Their brackets bolt directly to the VR6, and use all the original Mk1 Chassis mounts, so no cutting or abuse needs to be done to the car to install it. They use their own custom axles which allows the engine to be centered, and to withstand the extra power. Mike from Eurowise is going to fly to South Africa to help with the build, and attend the show there also, which is super cool.

> The wiring has been handed off to Matt from Eurokraft (IG @Chainnoise) who makes custom plug and play harnesses for motor swaps. He will reduce the factory harness down to the core wires needed, and masterfully attached the old CE1 fuse panel connectors so supply the correct voltage, grounds, etc. I also delivered a 02J 5 speed transmission to his shop, because he's also a mechanical whiz and will be helping with that.

> The clutch will be a full Black Forest Industries Stage 2 setup, with lightened flywheel and increased clamping power to handle the torque. They make some genuinely awesome shift knobs and other goodies, that I'm sure will end up being in there too. I've been friends with these guys for a long time, and traveled all over the world with them, so I'm delighted that one of the owners (Adam) will also be joining me in South Africa as well.

> The transmission will be receiving a Wavetrac limited slip differential (Part number 10.309.181WK), because frankly, 300hp in a front wheel drive Mk1 is silly. There's some super nerdy trademarked awesomeness involved in their diffs, that mean if I should be lifting a wheel or jumping at the Nurburgring, it'll help minimise any potential power loses. Or, more realistically for a car that'll be lowered and still have to drive 1000s of miles, it'll help make burnouts more epic. We'll see which is more likely, haha.

> Location, Location, Location.. The build will be happening in Johannesburg. Sanjay from EuroProjektz has offered his premises in the downtown area which will likely be our base for operations. I've ever gotten a AirBNB nearby so that we can minimise time lost for traveling etc. Goldwagen Delarey isn't too far away, with Wikus' machine shop there, and several other companies have extended offers of help and assistance. This is super appreciated, more than I think most people would realise, as I don't want this is to be a USA car.. it's a South African built car, and doing the modifications and build in SA makes it that much more awesome. I want to share a small part of the SA scene with everyone else.

> Wheels..? I don't know yet. I'm very fortunate to have great friends at great wheel companies, and a decent collection myself, but I'm struggling to decide for a car that I don't have yet, in a certain style.

> Suspension, brakes, interior. Yes, it'll have all of those. More details when I have them, haha. I am planning to install the full late spec CANBUS Citi interior. Yes, a Mk1 Golf came with full CANBUS. :eek:

Friends and Partners

This literally wouldn't be possible without the help of a bunch of people. There's already been introduction articles published by Speed and Sound Magazine in South Africa, Performance VW Magazine in the UK, and VWVortex.com in the USA, which is super cool. Speed and Sound will have exclusive coverage coming from the build in Johannesburg, and will also be flying to Worthersee in Austria when it's on display there.

Eurowise, Black Forest Industries, Autohaas, Eurokraft, Wavetrak, have all helped with advice, parts, and emotional late night phone calls talking about whether this is physically possible or not. The honest answer is 'I think so' and that it's so much fun that we might as well try. It's like a Top Gear Challange, but with no script, very little safety net, and possibly much more insanity, and I couldn't ask for better people and friends to do it with.

I'm sure there will be friends and companies joining in, and I'll update accordingly.

Charity

South Africa is a beautiful and loving country, with amazing people, natural resources, and a great car scene. Unfortunately they've also dealt with some serious s**t to not be blunt about it. I'm conscious that while we're enjoying ourselves on the internet, and having the luxury of being able to modify cars for fun, there's lots of people less fortunate. It's not going to fix the world, but I would like to try to help in a tiny way, so plan to fill the Citi Golf with as many school supplies as we can buy, and deliver them to a township or village school that will benefit from them. I don't know how to handle any donations, but I'll be welcoming any support for this. One option might be to have a t-shirt available for purchase, with a percentage going towards buying the books, pens, paper, or whatever else is recommended.

Previous Projects

This isn't my first rodeo, but it is the largest by far. In 2017 I flew to California and rescued a Mk3 Golf Harlequin from a junkyard, and drove it 3,000 miles across the USA in 5 days. I also bought a Audi Hearse in Spain, which I took around the Nurburgring, and shipped to the USA - before driving it 2,500 miles solo to SEMA. The year before I drove a 6 door stretch Jetta Limo from Phiadelphia to Las Vegas, covering 2,500 miles in under 48 hours, by carrying 10 gallons of extra fuel and only stopping for minutes every 500+ miles. I suspect that the Citi Golf Challenge will be most crazy though, and with the least safety net.

Jalopnik Harlequin Rescue Challenge:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...kyard-drive-it-3-000-miles-home-within-5-days
https://thegarage.jalopnik.com/this-mad-genius-is-saving-an-ultra-rare-vw-harlequin-fr-1796071482

That's it for now... :)

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
awesome.. in for updates!

side question: how does the engine swap impact bringing this car back in the US? The Mini community has been hearing many horror stories about cars being rejected at port of entry due to modifications. Cars must be stock with original engine, suspensions, glass, doors, bodies etc. :screwy:

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
awesome.. in for updates!

side question: how does the engine swap impact bringing this car back in the US? The Mini community has been hearing many horror stories about cars being rejected at port of entry due to modifications. Cars must be stock with original engine, suspensions, glass, doors, bodies etc. :screwy:
Correct on the Minis for sure, same with Land Rovers. Cars and engines can be imported if they are over 25/21 years old if they're not compliant, and must have original drivetrains basically, but compliant items can be imported anytime - which is why US market cars made in Mexico, Europe, can be imported new and used. That's why I'm using a US market engine :)

EDIT, as I import Minis and lots of other cars.. Your list of parts is a bit wild. Bodies? 100% must be original - that's where the VIN is. Glass? No, that would be nearly impossible.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Jamie,

I love that you LIVE Top Gear Style challenges while doing the actual wrenching. Hell, I've got an FD that I barely have done to work on. So, I'll live vicariously thru your adventures.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Vince

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Lots of fifteen52 branded wheels available locally in SA, so you're all set there.

Of course almost none of them were actually made by us ;)

·
Registered
618 Posts
Can't wait to follow your progress Jamie. Love the idea of a t-shirt and would definitely support if you decide to make one.

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lots of fifteen52 branded wheels available locally in SA, so you're all set there.

Of course almost none of them were actually made by us ;)
I saw a car for sale with a set of 15" knockoff BS Fakes.. I mean, how perfect would that be?! Car and wheels sorted all in one go? :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone :)

I love that you LIVE Top Gear Style challenges while doing the actual wrenching. Hell, I've got an FD that I barely have done to work on. So, I'll live vicariously thru your adventures. Thanks for sharing with us.
Thanks so much. I feel like when Wheeler Dealers was good it was because of the wrenching, and I enjoy that side of the challenge, so I'm glad others like it too.

Can't wait to follow your progress Jamie. Love the idea of a t-shirt and would definitely support if you decide to make one.
Thanks, I appreciate the input!!

Awesome project. Good luck, Jamie!

Please bring it over to Herndon HQ when you get a chance.
I'm always happy to make the drive down :) I'm excited to take it to it's original factory in Uitenhage, South Africa, then to the Emden factory, and Wolfsburg factory. Once it's in the USA, I'm tempted to take it to the former Westmoreland site, and then I guess Chattanooga would be the fitting final visit.

Sounds like an amazing adventure! :thumbup: Let me know if you need a photographer to capture everything... :laugh:
Thanks :) Your work looks awesome! I'll have some help from local magazine photogs in South Africa, and I'll be doing as much as I can myself. It's always tough on the road; I especially struggle with quality video.

·
Registered
18,222 Posts
:what:

Very much looking forward to following this challenge! :cool:

·
"Everything Is Awesome!" Moderator
9,964 Posts
You might be insane. :laugh: :beer:

Looking forward to following along and seeing your progress!! :popcorn:

1 - 20 of 124 Posts