VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been following this story as it has been developing. Apparently a lady on a 737 got hit with shrapnel when its left engine blew up. The shrapnel broke the window and hit her, and then she got half-way sucked out of the broken window until the passengers grabbed and held on to her. The plane landed and they evacuated her, apparently by pulling her the rest of the way out of the window, but she was either already gone, or died later. Starting to see pics of the left side of the fuselage, and there is definitely a big pink streak from the window back, and it's not hydro fluid. That really would have sucked. Have a good day!

·
Registered
South Florida
5,039 Posts
The dumb ass news media has been calling this an explosion all day. It's really pissing me off.

·
Registered
South Florida
5,039 Posts
And the dumbass of the year award goes to this guy.....You know how I know you didn't pay attention to the safety brief?

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
The dumb ass news media has been calling this an explosion all day. It's really pissing me off.
To be fair, the engine did explode. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
It did come apart, but it's interesting to look at pics of the front of the engine.
The main fan seems to be intact. Looks almost like the inlet cowl came off.
I've seen a couple of turbofans that have come apart, and usually it's the fan
losing a blade or the high-pressure section coming apart at 20,000 rpm. Then the DO blow up.
It'll be interesting to see what the NTSB decides when this is over.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
It did come apart, but it's interesting to look at pics of the front of the engine.
The main fan seems to be intact. Looks almost like the inlet cowl came off.
I've seen a couple of turbofans that have come apart, and usually it's the fan
losing a blade or the high-pressure section coming apart at 20,000 rpm. Then the DO blow up.
It'll be interesting to see what the NTSB decides when this is over.
On some pictures you can see one of the blades missing.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018...ines-crash-caused-metal-fatigue-inside-engine

Scroll down to the picture with the guy looking into the engine, it really looks like a blade is missing.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts

·
Registered
South Florida
5,039 Posts
To be fair, the engine did explode. :rolleyes:
Explosion, implies fire, bomb, etc. It was an un-contained engine failure.....lost a fan blade. Just as I type this I have the news on in the background........"engine burst into flames" with dramatic music :banghead:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Explosion, implies fire, bomb, etc. It was an un-contained engine failure.....lost a fan blade. Just as I type this I have the news on in the background........"engine burst into flames" with dramatic music :banghead:
They are using the word correctly. They're just embellishing a bit to create extra drama. If they were trying to spin it in such a way to suggest an incendiary device caused it then, yes, I would have an issue with it.

ex·plode

verb

burst or shatter violently and noisily as a result of rapid combustion, decomposition, excessive internal pressure, or other process, typically scattering fragments widely.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like something having to do with a fan blade. What a crazy story. That pilot didn't lose focus for one second.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Explosion: "a violent and destructive shattering or blowing apart of something"
Also, if you listen to the ATC tape, she did report a fire initially.

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts