VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this year for SOWO I'm building a b4 wagon , it's originally from California . Super clean by Canadian standards . It's an auto so that's gotta go. I'll be harvesting all the running gear from a b3 vr syncro I built around 8yrs ago. In the last two weeks I've dug them both out of the snow with help from a friend , and pulled both motor/trans set ups . I know it's nothing new in terms of swaps but it'll break up the sea of mk5/6's slammed on air with big wheels that all look the same except for different colours . Anyway , on with pics

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Are Syncro's easy to come by in Canada? I'm in Montana and really would like to drag one here to build a syncro vr B3. How about that VR bellhousing? Those must be a little tough to find?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are certainly findable up here. Although getting rarer. The main problem here though is the rust. So count on blasting and painting everything. The VR bellhousing used to be available through vw. Around 650$. Personally I prefer the tdi swap with syncro. But on this car I had all the VR parts, which make the swap easy. Working on it again tonight. Tearing down the rest of the B3 and getting subcomponents ready for install in the B4.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
If anyone is going to SOWO that has black leather door panels for a B3 Passat ,I'm looking for some. LMK what you want$$$. B3 black leather seems more common in USA than Canada. I've only seen it in VR's here in Canada , but I've seen US spec 16v B3's with black leather.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tonight's progress , repacked cv joints , cleaned up and transferred components to the new motor , popped in the BFI motor mounts , ripped out the rest of the syncro set up from the b3 , dropped the vr and syncro trans into the B4. Cleaned up the mess of rust from the b3. Next time I'll work on switching intake to obd1 , installing obd1 motor harness, pulling dash , new heater core, manual pedals and shift box and cables . Gonna work towards being able to have mobile on its own power . Also have to deal with hanger bearing issues on front to rear shaft . The front syncro brg is NLA. So, I've got a couple BMW units I'll be modifying . Should be interesting .

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I wish my b3 was a syncro, or ran :D Watching this thread for sure as I've never seen a b4 syncro! What are you doing with the smoked turns from the b3, Any chance of selling them?

·
Registered
623 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More work today . Pulled dash to put new heater core ( wasn't sure of condition of it so best put a new one in ). Took auto pedals out , then mixed and matched manual pedals in frame of auto pedal box . The manual pedal box I was going to use had a stress crack in it . Dash is back in now . Left lower trims off for now . Next will be pulling out seats and carpets for cleaning and welding driveshaft support brackets in tunnel .

In the background you can see the mk3 golf wagon I'm working on right now during work hours .

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Carpets came out today . I'll pull the wiring for the auto out while I have it apart . I hate extra unused wiring hanging around . I don't think I'll get much done this week on it . Got a few other things going on this week . Next week the rear syncro beam should be going in . Good times . Can't wait to hit the road down to SOWO ! If anyone is interested in a syncro system pm me , I could bring one along .

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Pulled the 2wd rear beam and tank out today .
Clean up rear beam mounting spots

Tack'd both rear beam brackets in place . On the left side I split the inner wheel well from the frame rail and slipped the syncro donor piece inside the frame rail .

Once all was in place put a five bolt rear syncro beam/dif/control arms

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No big updates . Got front to rear driveshaft hanger brackets welded in . Fuel tank mounting tabs spot welds drilled out and mounts removed . Ready to put tank . Pics were all meh . Next week tank and driveshafts in . My lights are hopefully leaving Germany tomorrow . Can't wait .

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.