VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
SoWo is officially deceased. No more Helen, GA; no more SoWo event. Matt Bounds just made the formal announcement via a Facebook Video.

Link

I look froward to what Matt has in store next. In all honesty, Helen and White County sucked and grew worse and worse every year. The worst part was the fact that the technical infrastructure was incredibly overloaded as well.

Let's hope the next hosting town/city can actually handle what our community has to offer.

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
Let's hope the next hosting town/city can actually handle what our community has to offer.
lets hope you are refereingto the better half of our community and not the attention seekers

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
:beer::beer::beer:

·
Registered
7,727 Posts
I think where it is will make it what it is. We don't need another waterfest or H2o. Being what sowo was, being different is what I enjoyed.

·
Banned
233 Posts
Glad it is moving - Take the outkasts with you - I'm happy to go back to Helen next year without the show and the problems - Mk1 Mk2 and old school guys - Let's keep going to Helen. 👍

·
Registered
18,912 Posts
Glad it is moving - Take the outkasts with you - I'm happy to go back to Helen next year without the show and the problems - Mk1 Mk2 and old school guys - Let's keep going to Helen. 👍

A group of us from Greenville, sc already have spots booked for next year, so depending on the location of the new show, we could likely just go to Helen for the weekend...I've never tubes before while in town, so maybe that will be my goal! :laugh:

·
Banned
233 Posts
A group of us from Greenville, sc already have spots booked for next year, so depending on the location of the new show, we could likely just go to Helen for the weekend...I've never tubes before while in town, so maybe that will be my goal! :laugh:
AWESOME. Let the hardcore old doods and people like you still go to Helen. I'm all for an old school GTG in Helen instead of going to a new town.

Helen is too unique of a venue. I like it, it's perfect. If 100 cars show up next year in Helen, that's fine. Just the real community types. Those of us who have been into VWs for a long time or people who act like responsible adults.

The tubing is epic. I talked to so many business owners before leaving town and they were worried, I assured them I would come back next year no matter what. Let's get a group of the real community back in Helen next year.

The way it USED TO BE. Let the stance kids go to the new city.

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
The tubing is epic. I talked to so many business owners before leaving town and they were worried, I assured them I would come back next year no matter what. Let's get a group of the real community back in Helen next year.

of course they are worried, they are going to take a HUGE hit in business that weekend. The town will see how much revenue they are going to loose once next year comes and goes and the show isn't there

·
Registered
766 Posts
of course they are worried, they are going to take a HUGE hit in business that weekend. The town will see how much revenue they are going to loose once next year comes and goes and the show isn't there
^ this. they will be begging for SOWO to come back. it might even happen before one year passes. The businesses are probably already sweating 2016 with no SOWO.

·
987.1 Cayman S, MK4 R32, S124 E320
12,792 Posts
Most of the businesses expressed that they want SoWo to return to Helen before any of this was decided. The city council that voted to not allow it back is not the same group as the business owners. The city council is made up of mostly old retired people who don't care about the profits of the businesses since it doesn't directly affect them.

·
Registered
18,912 Posts
Helen loosing this show is equivalent to a small company that relies on 3-4 big customers loosing number 1 or 2. The town has grown and become accustomed to the increased revenue over the past several years, so taking that kind of a financial hit is certainly going to be felt all around.

·
Registered
18,912 Posts
Why would you support the city that kicked us out instead of the guys that made SoWo for the past nine years?

The "City" as you refer is a handful of council members that made a vote; IMO the "town" is what makes the show, all of the business owners, etc

I am still thankful that i am so close that i can run down whenever i want and grab a pretzel from The Old Baria Inn! :D

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
The "City" as you refer is a handful of council members that made a vote; IMO the "town" is what makes the show, all of the business owners, etc

I am still thankful that i am so close that i can run down whenever i want and grab a pretzel from The Old Baria Inn! :D
True, but the Matt and crew put a lot of work into putting on SoWo and whatever its successor is. I love and support most of the businesses in Helen, but I think it's disrespectful to Matt and SoWo Partners to go to Helen that weekend instead of the new show.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts