VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m replacing the spark plugs in my daughter’s 2015 Jetta SE 1.8T. I had read the rubber boots are a bear to remove. Well, they were very difficult to remove!

I rebuilt the top end of 2003 Passat 1.8T and let me tell you- the design of the wiring harness to ignition coils to rubber boots on the 2015 Jetta is a big step backwards!

Pulling out the coils took a LOT of force and required a LOT of leverage. Pulling out the rubber boots (why in the heck did VW design a 2-part ignition coil? Makes no sense to me. This project should have taken me 1 hour and now I need to order new rubber boots. In the process, I broke a couple of the clips,tabs on the harness coil
Connector.

Any tips for installing the new rubber boots?

One pic is of rubber boot cut open to show spring inside rubber boot. Yes, a spring...

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I tore 2 of the rubber boots, so I had to buy two new ones. VW dealer did not have boots in stock but had ignition coil w rubber boot as part of a kit. New part numbers compared to what I had in car. Now onto the front brake rotors and pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
To remove the harness, you have to squeeze the harness and the ignition coil together and only then can you push down on the harness clip to release.

To remove the boot, it is recommended to do so when the engine is warm (the rubber has a bit more give). If you have access to an air compressor, you can shoot air between the boot and the header to help pop it off.

As for installation, apply a thin coat of dielectric grease on the porcelain portion of the spark plug.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just did the replacement coils on my 1.8 yesterday for the first time with 60k miles on the car. Suffice to say It was frustrating and I ripped two of the boots off deep down inside the head. Was able to get them out with a hook tool. You can make one out of a coat hanger to pull them out from the bottom by the plug

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just did the replacement coils on my 1.8 yesterday for the first time with 60k miles on the car. Suffice to say It was frustrating and I ripped two of the boots off deep down inside the head. Was able to get them out with a hook tool. You can make one out of a coat hanger to pull them out from the bottom by the plug
Strange to hear and seen on YT so many horror stories about that procedure. I just did it first time this morning on my 2015 VW Golf 1.8 TSI 2 door. @41K miles
Drove to town (30 miles round trip), got spark plugs at O'Reilly. got home and did it while the engine was still very hot. All 4 ignition coils including boot after slight twist L&R pulled right out with easy. Took may be 10-15 minutes to replace all 4 plugs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am now looking for a car and Jetta was on my wishlist until I read some dubious information about the mechanical problems this car encounters, could anyone provide some detailed information...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts