VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm changing my spark plugs w/ new NGK Laser Platimum PFR6Q P#6458
and I'm wondering if they are pre-gapped to what I need or do i need to adjust them and gap them myself? Eng Code is AWV
Thanks in advace.

Modified by 1.8 Terror at 1:21 PM 9-10-2005

· Registered
995 Posts
Re: Spark plug gap...Q (Ronisonce)

Ummm, I think it's 0.028. A 0.032 gap will make the coilpacks work closer to full duty cycle and can cause them to wear out more quickly.
Finally, even if they come pre-gapped, check them. I have found many plugs to be of the wrong gap, or gapped out of the box for another vehicle application.
Dave

· Registered
2,542 Posts
Re: Spark plug gap...Q (1.8 Terror)

Given the coil pack problems, I would stay with the OEM plug that came with the car unless there has been a TSB that states to use the new style plug.
My car came standard with that plug. But I don't know the gap (guess I could look it up if I weren't so tired right now- worked on the chimney all day). And they do come pre-gapped. I would check that they are all the same. It would be unusual to have 4 plugs get their electrodes bent during shipping. I've got 30k (20K "chipped") on the plugs with no mis-fire MIL's.

· Registered
314 Posts
NEVER trust plugs to be pre-gapped correctly.
.032 is stock gap
.028 is the aftermarket consensus
Why are you using expensive platinum plugs?
cheap ($1.50 ea) copper plugs perform better, you just need to replace them more often, but it only takes $6 and 10 min to do it.

· Registered
995 Posts
Re: (1.8 Terror)

I would gap them at 0.028 myself- stock or not. I have had expereince with getting misfire codes so I am glad to gap them slightly tighter. However, at this point I am definitely not stock.
I'm hoping by posting this, others with better experience will respond though!

Dave

· Registered
2,542 Posts
Re: (1.8 Terror)

Yes, of course always check plug gap prior to install. (I think I said that before didn't I?). However, if your not having mis-fire issues and the engine is relatively stock. The stock wider gap would be my choice as I would produce a longer arc. Also, unless one just likes to change plugs, I prefer the OEM plugs. The fewer times you change plugs, the less wear on the threads in the head and the fewer chances for a cross-thread.
I speaking from my personal experience with my OEM plugs which have worked perfectly. I don't know what others may be going through.
This is my OEM plug set that came with the car, with APR and plenty of 100 octane. (almost as cheap as regular 93 grade
, and gets better mileage if one stays out of it). These are the same plugs your talking about. They had about mid 20k on them at that time.

· Registered
995 Posts
Re: (flanders)

Ummm, apparently stock plugs could last forever if you use 100 octane gas and stay out of the boost! Those are picture perfect after 20,000 miles!
Thanks for the info!
Dave
P.S. I use BKR7E's (copper) and have excellent results too. But, I am modded so I run 0.028 and only have misfires when my battery dies!

· Registered
2,542 Posts
Re: (VW-GTi)

PFR6Q.
That's on the later model cars I believe. I dunno. However, given the coil issues we've had I would not change to this plug unless it was listed as OEM as other metals I believe conduct better than platinum (like copper).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.