VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. It's time to replace my spark plugs and I went to the dealer and they wanted $70 for a set of 4!! What plugs do you all use or reccommend? I have an APR chip w/ stock/91/93/100, Forge 007, K&N drop in and a GHL 3" Turboback exhaust. Are the factory plugs the best to use?? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Re: Spark Plug Question (soulman978)

i have NGK BKR7E's. I like them and they are cheap. The Autolite 3922s work well also. They are both a heat range cooler than stock, which is good if you are chipped. Gap them at .028.
There are a lot of good thread on chips if you search though.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Re: Spark Plug Question (soulman978)

Here's the list from the 1.8TFAQ. I've used the autolite 3922 and the Denso IK22's
--Common replacements
Autolite 3923
Autolite 3922 (one heat range colder)
Denso Iridium IK20
Denso Iridium IK22 (one heat range colder)
Bosch F7LTCR
NGK BKR7E (Race plug, one range colder)
*avoid BKR7E-11 as the factory gap is too large, .042*

·
Registered
471 Posts
Re: Spark Plug Question (JettaX01)

I recently just purchased some Denso's IK20's My old ones were looking like this when I pulled them out.

Modified by A1.8T at 7:51 PM 2-12-2004

·
Registered
342 Posts
Re: Spark Plug Question (JettaX01)

I'm sure they will work but you won't get optimal combustion. Stick with the suggested plug unless chipped.
Modified by 1.infiniT at 6:48 PM 2-12-2004

Modified by 1.infiniT at 8:22 PM 2-12-2004

·
Registered
598 Posts
Re: Spark Plug Question (tazUSC)

i'd reccommend the NGK BKR7E.
i just put some autolite 3922's in my ride (torqued to 22lbs) and it ran great..........until the #1 coil popped up a couple of days later.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Re: Spark Plug Question (Seanathan)

Quote, originally posted by Seanathan »
That has nothing to do with the sparkplug...

maybe, maybe not. coincidence or not, it seems that it is more likely to happen if you run the autolites.

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
Re: Spark Plug Question (cbring)

Quote, originally posted by cbring »

maybe, maybe not. coincidence or not, it seems that it is more likely to happen if you run the autolites.

The Autolite contact end of the plug MAY be to small for the coil to hold onto but I thought those push in coils were held in place by friction of the press fit (press into the valve cover).
On a couple of occasions I have removed my coils (old skule bolt ons) to check my plugs and I found one or two loose (autolites).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts