VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

On most cars when raising the boost, you want to go to a cooler plug. On these, based on my searching the OEM plugs are:

Bosch:
- Platinum Spark Plug Part #FR6KPP332S
- No gap listed on Bosch website

or

NGK:
- Laser Platinum Part #PFR7S8EG
- Gap: .032

I was thinking of actually switching to a NGK BKR7EIX (iridium plug) or just run what I run on my other turbo cars the NGK BKR7E (copper plug). It's a heat range colder than the OEM Bosch and only about $2 at any auto parts store.

Bosch Heat Ranges (7 is hotter, 5 is colder)
NGK Heat Ranges (7 is colder, 5 is hotter)

They are reversed. So really going to a NGK BKR7 vs. a Bosch BR6 means that I would be going one step colder.

FWIW, I've seen Arin from APR say they send out NKG PFR7Q and PFR7B plugs gapped to .028 with their stage 3 kits.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
This is a good question. Subscribed. What about these E3 diamond spark plugs that everyone is raving about?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
E3 cross reference application would be E 3.64. I've been looking in to those plugs as an option as well, curious if anyone else has had experience with them. Thanks for subscribing, I am very willing to test different plugs and am going to be doing it on an APR93 Stg. 1 B6 TSI.

Difference between E3 and standard plug type:

Standard plug type has a single edge, the J tip of the plug. The E3 plug has a diamond shape, picture below:

Standard plug:

Per E3 marketing, the multiple sharp edges give the spark more paths to follow, thus reducing wear on each part of the electrode. The E3 design keeps its "freshness" much longer than standard plugs. During testing, they discovered that standard plugs degrade quickly, losing up to 10% of their power after just 50 hours of use (about 1,200 miles in a typical car). The multiple sharp edges of the E3 design create better combustion when new and keep their edge "sharpness" for a considerable time. Additionally, the three legs that support the special geometry of the E3 design move heat out of the ground electrode, which helps the electrode last longer. The center electrodes are forged with a copper center core surrounded by a nickel alloy sheath and tip. The copper pulls heat out of the center electrode's tip, which also helps durability. The copper core is virtually equal to platinum in extending electrode life.

http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/diamondfire.htm

·
Registered
20,016 Posts
PFR7S8EG = it's already one heat range colder.

The BKR7E's... you have to make sure you order the correct plug with the .8mm gap, because they are available in 1.1mm gap. Since you're in S. FLorida, you don't have to worry about winter misfiring... which tends to happen with the BKR7E's, however it does not happen with the PFR7S8EG

·
Registered
1,431 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I have a friend with GTI running APR stage 2 with E3 plugs. He says they are awesome and run very smoothly. I was wondering if anyone with B6 was running them. What about upgraded coil packs? I read an article somewhere about plasma coil packs, at least thats what I think they were.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
You mean Okada plasma coils?
Passat 2006+2008 L4 Turbo 2.0L BWA Coil-Over
Plug Directs PD4002106R $735.00

^ A little pricey in my tastes^

·
Registered
57 Posts
e3 are **** i ran them on my car .. in 1st when i spun the tires i lost power and check engine light was blinking ... the plugs missfire on a tuned car .. go with ngk lazers .. i bought them and to dispite the price there great plugs ! dont go the cheap way out !

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
E3s are junk me n my buddy ran them in his Stage 2 WRX and after 20 min they were back at advance. For any tune stage 1-2+ the tuning companies tune thew cars on OEM plugs

i just put NGK iridium plugs and so far so good i got one misfire code the other day but im not sure if tht was due to flatfoot shifting. my real test will be the trip to waterfest tonight, just stick with OEM bc its what the cars been tuned with.:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
This has been discussed on the 2.0T FSI section .. most people stick to OEM bosch.. and NGK. Although some people reported issues with the NGK..

I been running NGK but I will be going back to stock next time.. cant beat OEM.

JT

·
Registered
20,016 Posts
This has been discussed on the 2.0T FSI section .. most people stick to OEM bosch.. and NGK. Although some people reported issues with the NGK..

I been running NGK but I will be going back to stock next time.. cant beat OEM.

JT
OEM plugs are now NGK (PFR7S8EG) they replaced the Bosch

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Thats good to know that the tuners are using stock plugs when developing programs. I wont worry anymore now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts