VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Re: spark plugs?? (SHyland)

Is this a serious question?

Diesel engines have NO, ZERO, NADA, XNAY Spark plugs. They use heat and the compression from the engine to ignite the fuel. To turn it off, the fuel source is shut off.
Good luck with your research.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Is this a serious question?
Diesel engines have NO, ZERO, NADA, XNAY Spark plugs. They use heat and the compression from the engine to ignite the fuel. To turn it off, the fuel source is shut off.
Good luck with your research.[HR][/HR]​
Man, way to make a guy feel welcome... Bunch of know it alls around here.
Not everyone is as enlightend/serious/knowledgable about cars and how they work, we should embrace them and share our knowlege rather than ridicule them.

[Modified by cooleremail, 5:34 PM 2-12-2003]

·
Registered
408 Posts

A diesel engine is technically a "compression ignition engine." When air is compressed it gets very hot and when the diesel fuel is injected it ignites.
There are no spark plugs, but there are glow plugs. In the event that the ambient (outside) air temperature is too cold, the glow plugs raise the air temperature in order that when it is compressed it will be sufficient to ignite the fuel.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Re: spark plugs?? (RISC601)

Could you beleive that ALL 4 of my GLOW plugs went bad? Is this possible or did I just get ripped by Gunther VW in FL?
I mean its a little cold in the mornings but I started the car in the afternoon and the dash "check engine" light goes on from there??
I was there for like 5 hours! with all that crap they did to it? $60 bucks a glow plug! I was like HOLY poop!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Re: spark plugs?? (1SOLIDTDI)

You live in Florida. What do you need glow plugs for?
You can buy them for, what, $20 a pop through some of the web parts stores. Other than needing a 10mm deep socket, they're easy to change. Or in your case, ignore.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Re: spark plugs?? (96wagon)

quote:[HR][/HR]Is this a serious question?
[HR][/HR]​
It won’t be long before Diesels have spark plugs. Future designs of both gasoline and Diesel engines are converging. They are direct injection engines with about 15:1 compression ratio, running stratified charge compression ignition under part load and homogeneous charge spark ignition under full load. The design does not have a cold start problem even though the compression ratio is very low for a Diesel. Both require improved fuel quality for low stable emission level.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.