VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got bored today and decided to check my plugs, pulled them all, but noticed that the plugs from the cylinders near the exhaust manifold all looked the same, the threads and the electrode were gray in color, but the plugs on the cylinders on the intake manifold side were black on the threads but the electrode was grayish-white on all of them. My Question is, would it be safe to switch them around? What is recommended for gap? and How often should I replace them? Thanks.

Modified by VR6Mobbin at 6:08 PM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
7,778 Posts
Re: Sparkplug Questions. (VR6Mobbin)

bump cuz i noticed the same thing, im thinking diff in air fuel possibly. more oxygen cause the different coloration?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts

clean 'em up and gap to 0.40(?)
I think VW says change at 60,000 Miles.... OEM NGK's will cost you almost $100

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Re: Sparkplug Questions. (BadassVW)

on this subject... what spark plugs would give better all around performance.. or is there no such thing???

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Re: Sparkplug Questions. (BEAU-SOF)

Quote, originally posted by BEAU-SOF »
on this subject... what spark plugs would give better all around performance.. or is there no such thing???

depends on how you are tuned I would suppose? Back when I had the VF installed I went into tweak mode with plugs and found the OEM NGKs gave the best performance.
Actually had a flat spot around 3200 RPM with one range colder plug
and I'm talking running in 90°F+ temps with 60% RH.....so go figure

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Re: Sparkplug Questions. (BadassVW)

i see.. i though we would gain a little with the "right" spark plugs.. i have seen those idrinium i believe thats how u spell it give 5 xtra horses to a mini.. but then again the mini was a supercharged mini.. maybe there is no difference when it comes to our engines....
ah well.... thanks for the info.... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,728 Posts

hmm i didnt notice that when i pulled my plugs, i have the F6DTC copper plugs in the car right now cause well its charged and thats what they recommend, i took out the stockies and they litterally looked brand new, 30k miles on them i was like thats weird, car must be running pretty good but that makes sence cause i get like 29mpg but anyways i think i might try the stockies back in with the charger see what it does.
as for a better plug the stock triple platinum setup is actually a really nice plug, youd be hard pressed to find a better plug for cheap, you can have power differences because when your plug is hotter it will burn cleaner in the right conditions and burn more complete the fuel mixture, but if your SC for instance you want a colder plug cause you dont want predetonation. just get some new stockies, but you could probably wait til 60k miles http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,547 Posts

Quote, originally posted by BEAU-SOF »
i see.. i though we would gain a little with the "right" spark plugs.. i have seen those idrinium i believe thats how u spell it give 5 xtra horses to a mini.. but then again the mini was a supercharged mini.. maybe there is no difference when it comes to our engines....
ah well.... thanks for the info.... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

the only way you're going to see a 5 hp gain from a plug change is if you had the wrong plugs installed when you first dyno'd....
MAYBE if you put in 'hotter' coilpacks like plasma direct.
Don't believe 90% of the trash out there that quotes you 5 HP dyno gains... If you want to BELIEVE that's fine.. but read the fine print first

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Sparkplug Questions. (Neu Bug)

Do you think maybe the difference in color is because the air/fuel mixture has to travel that much further through the head?

·
Registered
7,778 Posts

interesting theory, id say more that the air is that much hotter when reaching the far cylinders, perhaps causing them to detonate a little sooner. dunno, there gotta be someone out there who knows this...
and this will only hold up if everyones plugs are diff from front bank to rear bank, any body out there pull theirs and find no difference at all? only 16k on my motor and mine was noticable

·
Registered
4,728 Posts

well 1st off the air fuel mixture doesnt travel further through the head between which bank it is. and actually the mixture doesnt travel through the head at all. only thing that goes through the head is the air, the injector is in the head and sprays fuel into the cylinder not the head. and the air just travels further through the manifold same distance in the head.
so the rears would pretetonate more is that what your saying? if you think its thr front then your wrong and something else is going on.
but i really dont think this is it. im gonna go check my plugs now but im pretty sure mine were both equal in worn/color and really they were all really damn good shape the guys installing the charger were like how many miles are on this thing. are these the stock plugs? im like 30k and yes. ill go double check now but i dont think they are different colors maybe you have 2 different plug models just by some weird fate, check the numbers on them

·
Registered
7,778 Posts
Re: Sparkplug Questions. (2002gtibluvr6)

ya it was kinda of a dumb theory
they are all the same brand tho, same exact plugs. the rears are more white and the front bank is more black.

·
Banned
1,757 Posts
Re: Sparkplug Questions. (2002gtibluvr6)

Quote, originally posted by 2002gtibluvr6 »
well 1st off the air fuel mixture doesnt travel further through the head between which bank it is. and actually the mixture doesnt travel through the head at all. only thing that goes through the head is the air, the injector is in the head and sprays fuel into the cylinder not the head. and the air just travels further through the manifold same distance in the head.

here we go again... the injectors go into their bosses which have small, short, ports into the air intake ports. the fuel is released at the same point across all 6 cylinders... SO the back 3 would have a longer path for the atomized fuel to travel. Take a head off the block and inspect it before making comments about it.
It is quite possible that the fuel hitting the front 3 is 'too' atomized (thin) and isnt combusting properly. If i keep my car much longer, it will end up with an EIP turbo setup on it with a few things changed (intake, intercooling setup, etc..) i may try different injector placement within the manifold for the front 3... i was having problems with the mixture on the front 3 with juice.... so when i was going to do the direct port setup, i was going to evenly space the foggers from the actual inlet to each cylinder... never got around to that, probably wont.

·
Banned
1,757 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Neu Bug »
any insight as to why the plugs would be differently oxidized. black in front and white in back?

fuel is deatomizing and forming droplets in transit to the cylinder... a droplet will not ignite with the weak spark that the coilpacks provide. A 'normal' plug will have whiteness on it around the ground electrode mainly.
I was having the problem of BOTH electrodes being white as well as the exposed base on the front 3 with nitrous. The rears looked fine. Added a bit more fuel to the mix and the backs still run fine and the fronts are once again looking good.

·
Registered
7,778 Posts
Re: Sparkplug Questions. ([email protected])

cool, so my motor has only got intake an exhaust. I am putting a chip on it and a CAI this week. But first I think i will put a 4 bar FPR on. Sound like a good idea to you, I know afew others have done this with success. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
1,757 Posts

cool, so my motor has only got intake an exhaust. I am putting a chip on it and a CAI this week. But first I think i will put a 4 bar FPR on. Sound like a good idea to you, I know afew others have done this with success. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

the car will run richer than with a 3 bar (stock)... increasing fuel pressure across the rail forces more fuel into the cylinder with the injectors at the same pulsewidth. My car runs just fine off juice as far as fuel goes... the juice messed it all up. Its fixed again with a bit more output now

·
Registered
7,778 Posts
Re: Sparkplug Questions. ([email protected])

HUH? you mean to say that with a 4bar fpr and a 3 bar fpr, the 3 bar will actually get more fuel down the cylinders?
You sound like you know more than me but this kinda contradicts what my understanding of it was. with a higher pressure fpr, it is essentially just not letting as much fuel get sent back down the return line, there fore keeping the pressure higher in the fuel rail, right? 3 bar would equate to about 44 psi and 4 bar would equate to 58 psi. And this is from sketchy memory but the fuel pump is putting down 60 psi i think. so with that much more psi on the fuel rail, with the same pulse width woudlnt it get more fuel in?
My understanding of this may be horribly skewed, but you will have to forgive me I have been trained at a ford dealership.
"hit it to fix it, paint it to match"
not happy about it, but it pays the bills.
So if you have a moment and dont mind, if im wrong could you explain how this works to me.. still learning
Thanks

·
Banned
1,757 Posts

HUH? you mean to say that with a 4bar fpr and a 3 bar fpr, the 3 bar will actually get more fuel down the cylinders?
You sound like you know more than me but this kinda contradicts what my understanding of it was. with a higher pressure fpr, it is essentially just not letting as much fuel get sent back down the return line, there fore keeping the pressure higher in the fuel rail, right? 3 bar would equate to about 44 psi and 4 bar would equate to 58 psi. And this is from sketchy memory but the fuel pump is putting down 60 psi i think. so with that much more psi on the fuel rail, with the same pulse width woudlnt it get more fuel in?
My understanding of this may be horribly skewed, but you will have to forgive me I have been trained at a ford dealership.
"hit it to fix it, paint it to match"
not happy about it, but it pays the bills.
So if you have a moment and dont mind, if im wrong could you explain how this works to me.. still learning
Thanks

you misunderstood my statement... what i said was that a 4 bar will make the car run richer than a 3 bar (which is stock)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts