VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the F6DTC plugs in my SC'd Cabrio but this sunday after racing the car all day long in about 90 degree temps I started to melt a plug away (pics coming later today). I was wondering if I should go with a colder plug for racing... if so what plug??? Right now I can get my hands on the F6DP or FR6DP which are the platinum equivalents to the F6DTC but I have heard that I shouldn't run platinum plugs with nitrous? Has anyone tried the F6DP plugs? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Keith

Keith

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Re: SparkPlugs + Nitrous (VR6 NSC)

nitrous + platinum plugs = blown motor. the nitrous will melt the platinum tip and it will shoot around in the head. anytime boost of some sort is added, you need to get colder spark plugs. for nitrous, up to 100hp shot, a 2-step into the cold range is required. and for turbo/s-c, i believe its 1-step per 7 psi.
not positive on the turbo/s-c one.. but positive on the nitrous.

·
Banned
6,686 Posts
Re: SparkPlugs + Nitrous (1BadAzzVR6)

F6DTC's are not platinum. They are pretty good nitrous plugs. If you wanna try something different, try the NGK V-Power Racing 7's..They work well too...

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: SparkPlugs + Nitrous (1BadAzzVR6)

since I was running the f6dtc and went up to about 7-8 (to 16) psi from the original mark and I'm shooting a 40-60shot I should go about 2-3 steps colder???
Keith

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Re: SparkPlugs + Nitrous (VR6BOPER)

Keith,
Try F5-DTC's they may work better for your application. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Re: SparkPlugs + Nitrous (SUPERCHARGED-JETTA)

I don't know the model number but before Velocity Sport changed their site, they recommended a plug to me that was for turbo Porsches. They were like $25 ea and were 3 or 4 degrees colder. (Compared to the 2 of the F6DTC, which is what I ended up using.)
You may want to drop them a line. They're going out of business and may have some of these available for a lower price.

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.