VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
put a kenwood head unit in my 90 raddo and it goes into protect mode after a while when switched to usb or cd source but not radio. my left front speakers dont work (dash and door) is the original wiring the problem (the connection between the factory harness and unit are good) or is it the non working speakers? is there a way to test the speakers, resistance maybe? anyone ever re run stereo wires in a raddo, i mean all of them? im also interested in pulling the whole stock sytem wiring amp and all and re working it all aftermarket. anyone know of writeup or have any pointers for re running the wiring and setting up with an amp?

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
make sure your headunit has 2 RCA cable inputs in the back...run all new wiring from the speakers directly to the back of the car where you can mount your amp, wire all 6 speakers to the amp and connect amp with RCA cable to back of headunit. then just put each of the speakers on their designated spot on the amp. but make sure you run 2 RCA cables to the back...1 for the speakers and 1 for the sub if you plan on running one

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Re: speaker wiring (ninesixfive)

Good luck with running all of the wiring again for all 6 of the speakers. I have one where a PO ran them and it looks like it was a challenge, to say the least. This is assuming that you run them exactly where the stock wires are run. You could take some shortcuts and besides taking the door cards off (always a pleasure) it shouldn't be too bad.
Clarify as to whether the speakers worked before the new deck. Also, make sure they are working by connecting a different stereo or a battery to the leads.
Having the protection mode only come on during certain input modes suggests that there is either something wrong with the circuitry in the deck, or there is some sort of ground loop or short in how the devices are connected to it (bad USB cable, or the charger/ interface you are using for the ipod or computer is connected to the power or ground and one of the wires for your stereo (in the harness or the speakers) is touching power or a ground. I am not an electrical engineer, but these are some of this sorts of things that I have encountered before.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advice on how to do the re wiring. i think im going to eventually go that rout but for now i just want the deck to function properly. the car didnt come with any stereo at all so i dont have another to put in and dont know if they worked before. the cd and iphone work fine for a while then will randomly just go into protect mode. sucks if its the deck bought it over a month ago put it and had to go away on buisness for a month and prob cant return it anymore.
so all i need is new speakers, amp, a **** ton of speaker wire, two rca's, and some patience? sounds pretty easy. im fairly comfortable with the idea of pulling everything apart to do it. theres nothing else i will need?

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
are you planning on having a subwoofer? if you arent i would waste ur money on the 2nd rca cable but if ur remotely thinking about it i would run it so u dont have to take everything apart twice...
speaker wire, 2 rca cables, amp for the speakers, amp for sub, sub if desired for the last two, and power/ground wire for the amp/ and u have to run a remote wire to the amp to tell it to turn on (blue wire off the back of the headunit harness)

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Re: (ninesixfive)

You can test your speakers with a meter to see if they have proper resistance.
Are the speakers all factory? So who installed the radio?
What does the owner's manual for the radio say for symptoms when the radio goes into "protect"?
Running new wires to all 6 speakers is not that difficult. It takes time to run wires into the doors properly and to the rear speakers, but its not a hard car to take apart.
Depending on what speakers you chose and how loud you want to listen to the stereo, you may or may not need a amp. The dash is a 4", doors you can upgrade to 5 1/4", and the rears are 4" x 6". You could easily run all 6 of those speakers off the radios internal amplifier as long as you get efficient speakers. If you decided to go with a amp you could probably only have it run the front speakers and run the rears off the radio amp. I wouldn't waste the money putting a amp on the rear speakers.
You would need power, ground, a fuse holder, and remote turn on wire to hook up a amp as well as what you already mentioned.

Modified by dogger at 8:50 PM 2-9-2010

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Re: (dogger)

Quote, originally posted by dogger »
You can test your speakers with a meter to see if they have proper resistance.
Are the speakers all factory? So who installed the radio?
What does the owner's manual for the radio say for symptoms when the radio goes into "protect"?
Running new wires to all 6 speakers is not that difficult. It takes time to run wires into the doors properly and to the rear speakers, but its not a hard car to take apart.
Depending on what speakers you chose and how loud you want to listen to the stereo, you may or may not need a amp. The dash is a 4", doors you can upgrade to 5 1/4", and the rears are 4" x 6". You could easily run all 6 of those speakers off the radios internal amplifier as long as you get efficient speakers. If you decided to go with a amp you could probably only have it run the front speakers and run the rears off the radio amp. I wouldn't waste the money putting a amp on the rear speakers.
You would need power, ground, a fuse holder, and remote turn on wire to hook up a amp as well as what you already mentioned.

Modified by dogger at 8:50 PM 2-9-2010

exactly. he just wanted an amp setup i believe. thats how i did it. have the rear 4x6s and dash 4" on the same channel and the doors on a seperate channel running off the headunit (JVC) it sounds good enough for me. i dont need to blast my music for the whole world to hear....but i do want a single sub for some more air movement....there is NO bass in this setup because the speakers just dont move enough air

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what kind of resistance would indicate a bad speaker? would it have to be totally open or just high and if so what range is high?
i installed the radio. the owners manual states that it indicates a shorted speaker but i dont understand why the radio would work but not the cd or usb. i suppose it could just be that the other sources just put out more power to the speaker than the radio does.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts

Are the speakers all factory and did you hook up the factory Aktiv amplifiers?
I'm not certain what the correct resistance of the factory speakers in a Corrado are. Typically in car audio they would be 4 ohms. A common problem that can occur is when a speaker get hot it will short the voicecoil or the speaker physically moves too much causing it to short. That will send a amp into protection. If the speakers are all original there is a very good chance they are worn out or the surrounds could be gone. The sun and smog will cause the speaker surrounds to fall apart.
If they are factory speakers, you would be much better off just replacing them all. Its not worth the time to trouble shoot them.
There is also a chance you didn't wire up the radio to the factory Aktiv set up correctly and that could cause the radio to go into protect.
Its possible that your stereo is driving the speakers harder with cd's and ipod because the frequency response of both those formats is better than radio.
I wouldn't recommend tying the front dash speakers and rear speakers together though. You lose your ability to fade front to rear for one. Its better to connect the dash and door speakers in parallel.

Modified by dogger at 9:24 PM 2-9-2010

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
i considered that, however, i thought ot myself how many times do i ever fade music to the back. never. and the other reason why i did it because i felt like more power going to the door speakers would make them sound better because they are bigger speakers...tieing the dash and rear together wouldnt matter too much with splitting the power because u cant really hear them THAT much and tweeters dont really need that much power...that was just my thinking. i may be wrong but hey sounds good to me

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Re: (1broknrado)

If you think the front speakers are bad and causing the protect, disconnect them and test it then. After that, use a battery to see if they are connected at all. They may not work because the wires are shorting.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Re: (1broknrado)

Quote, originally posted by 1broknrado »
i considered that, however, i thought ot myself how many times do i ever fade music to the back. never. and the other reason why i did it because i felt like more power going to the door speakers would make them sound better because they are bigger speakers...tieing the dash and rear together wouldnt matter too much with splitting the power because u cant really hear them THAT much and tweeters dont really need that much power...that was just my thinking. i may be wrong but hey sounds good to me

Usually you want the rear speakers to play at a lower volume than the front and just give you fill. By tying them in with the front dash it limits your ability to adjust the fader so that the rears don't play too loud or vice versa. Also you are wrong about power. Its the opposite. By paralleling the speakers it will lower than impedance that the amplifier sees and increases the power. Its too your advantage to tie the front door and dash speakers together to get more sound up front where you sit.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Re: (crazynorweegian)

Quote, originally posted by crazynorweegian »
If you think the front speakers are bad and causing the protect, disconnect them and test it then. After that, use a battery to see if they are connected at all. They may not work because the wires are shorting.

If the speakers are connected to the radio and a wire is seeing a short or the speaker coil is shorting, the radio would go right into protect when you turn it on. Its really to his advantage to find out how the radio is wired into the factory speakers/amplifier. If its wired through the Aktiv amplifier you don't want to go and use a battery to pop the speakers. Its also not very wise to go and give that kind of advice without being more specific about how to do it. Like if he did not disconnect the speaker wires from the radio or unplug the radio harness he could damage the radio.
I don't mean any disrespect but quite often on here questions arise about car audio and people respond who don't really have the experience to solve the problems. Especially when you are trying to help someone who doesn't have much experience as well. Luckily there are people on here who do have good knowledge of car audio and can be helpful.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts

Well, that shouldn't be a problem since the amplifier would either be disconnected or off if the stereo if off to test the speaker leads. Also, if you are going to test those leads from the amplifier end, the harness would already be off of the back of the deck and therefore the deck would not be on. If you are messing with the wiring in the back of the deck/ behind the dash, you probably would have also disconnected the battery. So, at any rate, because of any of those reasons, there would not be a problem or it simply would not work.

Though, I should have clarified, I meant testing the speakers with a AA battery.

Modified by crazynorweegian at 2:23 PM 2-10-2010

·
Registered
1,425 Posts

Quote, originally posted by ninesixfive »
the stereo is hooked directly to the factory aktiv harness. i had some time to pull the plug on the left dash speaker and was reading 3.5 ohms on the speaker coil. i havent had time to mess with the door.

wont work!
the aktive sys head unit was designed to send a super low voltage to amps(kind of like a rca cable to amps in aftermarket set up)
so that volt out of aftermarket head wont supply the aktiv amps which power the speakers. all six speakers originate from the doors.
i think years ago there was a adapter, but who knows if it still avail.
there are plenty of arcived threads on the subject.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts

there just not compatable.
the stock head unit sends out the same sig that the rca's do on after market units do.
1. stock, sends it through the harness to the door amps
2. aftermarket sends it through harness to amps, and amp dont know what sig is.
heres a good link!! read carefully!! DO NOT CUT 1 WIRE!!
just bite the bullet and rewire!
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3727363
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Re: (crazynorweegian)

Quote, originally posted by crazynorweegian »
Well, that shouldn't be a problem since the amplifier would either be disconnected or off if the stereo if off to test the speaker leads. Also, if you are going to test those leads from the amplifier end, the harness would already be off of the back of the deck and therefore the deck would not be on. If you are messing with the wiring in the back of the deck/ behind the dash, you probably would have also disconnected the battery. So, at any rate, because of any of those reasons, there would not be a problem or it simply would not work.

Though, I should have clarified, I meant testing the speakers with a AA battery.

Modified by crazynorweegian at 2:23 PM 2-10-2010

You are making a few assumptions that the PO would do certain things and that sending high level voltage into a amplifier input would not possibly damage it even when it is turned off. Like I stated before you are giving bad advice and not doing him any favors with how to start troubleshooting this.
You don't have to unplug or disconnect the radio harness to pop the speaker with battery. So that should have been specified and not assumed. You are also assuming that someone would disconnect the car battery when they install or work on a radio. Which is not necessary if you know what you are doing, but safer if you don't.
Seriously you are not really helping him to figure out what his problem is because you are getting ahead of yourself. First he needs to find out how the speakers are wired up to the radio and if the Aktiv amplifiers are being used.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts

To the OP.
The Aktiv amplifiers are mounted in the door speaker enclosure. Each powers the speakers for that side of the car. The radio sends a low level signal to each amplifier and the amplifier sends a high level signal to your speakers. Instead of using RCA cables to transmit that low level signal they use normal wires coupled into molex plugs at the radio and amplifier.
You have 2 options when installing a after market radio. Bypass the Aktiv amplifier and wire the speaker leads from your radio directly to each speaker. Or you can connect the low level signal out of your radio into the low level input of the Aktiv amplifiers.
What I asked you before was to find out if your Aktiv amplifiers are bypassed or being used? Checking the impedance of your speakers or even popping them with a battery isn't important until you know how they speakers are wired up to your radio.
I would just bypass the Aktiv. Run 2 sets of wires into the doors and be done with it. Tie the dash and door speakers together. Rears off the rear out.

Modified by dogger at 8:47 PM 2-10-2010

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.