VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, looking for info and opinions on the Spec Stage II clutch kit.
- Are you using the 1.8T Spec clutch or the VR6 one?
- How does it feel compared to stock?
- What weight and kind of flywheel are you using with it?
- Do you get any chatter when off the clutch pedal?
- What power mods do you have with this setup?
- Anything else you would like to add?
Thanks. I'd really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Re: Spec Stage II Clutch Kit Questions (bigbwoy)

How would a 228mm Sachs Power Clutch (ECS STG2) compare to Spec STG2?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Spec Stage II Clutch Kit Questions (SLI)

Quote, originally posted by SLI »
How would a 228mm Sachs Power Clutch (ECS STG2) compare to Spec STG2?

All I know is that the ECS Stage 2 is supposed to hold up to 300 lbs of torque at the wheel, and the Spec Stage 2, 385 lbs. I'm not sure if the Spec figure is at the wheel though.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Re: Spec Stage II Clutch Kit Questions (bigbwoy)

-I am running the VR6 clutch
-It grabs a lot lower off the floor but it is a little stiffer than stock once fully broken in, new it is like pushing the gas pedal. Engagement is smooth because of the Kevlar mesh.
-I am using a Autotech 10lbs
-It will chatter a little when it is hot and the A/C is on but other than that it won't
-Mild mods, see sig
-It has to go though a good heat cycle to grab its best. I took it out to the track with about 1600 miles on it and it was slipping by the end of the night. Next day it was fine and called Spec and they told me that it just needed to get heated up to go through its last heat cycle and if it happens again just call them back and they would take care of it, because there is no set time on their warranty.
All and all it is a great clutch just hard to get used to the smooth engagement and the more concentration to slip the clutch to get moving.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Spec Stage II Clutch Kit Questions (BatesGTI)

Thanks a million BatesGTI. Finally someone who has one answers. Just the info I needed.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Re: Spec Stage II Clutch Kit Questions (BatesGTI)

So do you get a stock like feel still with the Autotech FW in daily driving (not on the track) ? What about vibrations during engagement ?
I mean comparing it to the dual-mass FW that comes stock...
I would say that the engagement of the SPEC Stg.2 kevlar clutch and the Autotech light FW should not be as smooth as the Dual-Mass stock FW and stock clutch.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Re: Spec Stage II Clutch Kit Questions (SLI)

I use an ESC Stage 2 and I daily drive with 280 whp. Still OK. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I only have about 8000 miles on it though

·
Registered
84 Posts
i have a unorthodox racing aluminum fly wheel w/ there stage 2 clutch and it is great, feels exactly like stock, the only complaint with it is that i now have some clutch chatter, but the aluminum flywheel is a must, drives like a different car, a little more effort to take off, but watch those rpm's soar, i have about 10000 miles on it, i know now that spec has a chatter free clutch set up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts