VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a motor oil blended specifically for breaking in brand new engines? Ten years ago, I would have just used a high-quality petroleum-based motor oil. However, these oils have gotten more "slippery" over time (note the abundance of "fuel efficient" oils), making them less suitable for breaking in an engine, so I'm wondering whether there is a better option. Thanks.

· Registered
4,334 Posts
Re: Special Oil For Breaking In A Brand New Engine? (Kenji)

u wanna use the crappiest oil for the first thousand miles so you can break in your rings....dont baby the car either, no redlining though.....i used 30W, 76 brand oil, after that i went straight to synthetic

· Registered
23,062 Posts
Re: Special Oil For Breaking In A Brand New Engine? (Kenji)

Quote, originally posted by Kenji »
Does anyone know of a motor oil blended specifically for breaking in brand new engines?

Most manufactors and many engine builders tell you use an conventional oil for the first x,000 miles.
The underlying debate is really when's the good time to switch?
Personal experience, we've bought new cars, used conventional to about 6,000 miles...
Then dumped in full synthetic and seen the best results with little or no leaks past 150K miles.
- Erik

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.