VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I took the seats out of my Jetta about a year ago, I had lost one of the 12point bolts/screws that secure out seats to the chassis. I just used 3 bolts to secure the chair thinking that this would be safe for the time being (stupid I know). This ended up being the source of a squeak that drove me nuts. I guess the bolt not being there allowed a small movement which caused the squeak. Anyway, I finally got around to replacing the bolt/screw and I figured I'd just replace all 4. I went down to OSH and picked up new ones. Here are specs and pics for the OEM and new...
OEM bolt is a Metric 10X? with a 1.5 Pitch Coarse thread.

Here is what I bought at OSH. 10X25 1.5 Pitch

New on left, old on right.

Oh, and it's so nice not hearing squeaks anymore
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: Specs of screws/bolts holding down our seats (FUZE)

Not to be nitpicky, but you might want to reconsider your choice of bolts for your seats. There is no "grade" rating on the new bolts. It's my experience that home repair center bagged hardware is not heavy duty stuff. It's possible the bolts could stretch or break in a high stress situation, causing injury to passenger or driver. The reason the factory uses 12 point bolts is that they will accept the prescibed torque without stripping the socket. Better to be safe than save a few cents when it comes to seat and seatbelt hardware.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.