VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I call my local dealer to get a new speedo drive gear (the red one) and a speedo cable gasket, and parts guy say "We only carry the automatic speedo drive gear. VW probably doesn't make it anymore. Call (random ******* transmission shop) maybe they have it.
I don't want to find a used one as it'll be 15-year-old gear oil-soaked piece of plastic.
Am I S.O.L.?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Re: Speed O drive gear NLA? (FastLapRSII)

whatever dealer you called is smoking crack. they can get them in a day if they dont already have them in stock.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Speed O drive gear NLA? (allroy18)

I shoulda known. Does anyone have the part#s? I'd love to buy it from a competing dealer and take it to this guy and put it in his face. Thanks man.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Re: Speed O drive gear NLA? (username)

i pulled one from a junker like 2 weeks ago... the guy was like " oh i know vws and i know this would cost like over 100 bucks at the dealer" i'm like "oh i though it would be wicked cheap"
"nah.... give me 10 for it then"
"oh... ok..... aww i only have 8 bucks... is that ok (
)"
"ugh... fine"
damn tried to rip me off!!!! good thing i got my h4 harnesses and a new jetta badge off an audi and a coupe.... whatever fits in your pockets......

·
Registered
39,344 Posts
Re: Speed O drive gear NLA? (Punkrocker9)

Quote, originally posted by Punkrocker9 »
whatever fits in your pockets......

usually i am 110% agains stealing and/or theiving anyhting that has to do with VW... but in this case, its the opposite. 10 bucks for a used gear?! come on now.. once the guy at the junker here wanted 35 bucks for an aero headlight. just the glass, no bracket, no bulb.. i told him i can get it cheaper on ebay or the vortex, and handed it back to him. his reply was 'then do that!' as he threw it in a pile of stuff and it shatters all over..
he could have given it to me for 5 bucks and made money on it, instead, its broken and he makes none. he would rather make none, than give it to me cheaper and make a sale?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Re: Speed O drive gear NLA? (VegasJetta)

Quote, originally posted by VegasJetta »

usually i am 110% agains stealing and/or theiving

seriously i'm the same way... i'm no theif, i just like to make sure i'm getting my money's worth. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11,388 Posts
Re: Speed O drive gear NLA? (Punkrocker9)

i'm in the same boat...the way i figure it is the junker makes his living off of big parts like drivetrains, computers, and body panles, not the little odds and ends..half the time i get $5 worth of interior trim parts the guy a the place i usually go to doens't even make out a receipt, he probably just uses it to buy antohter pack of smokes or something

1 - 10 of 10 Posts