VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeap, I got a speeding ticket yesterday. I was only doing 38 in a 25. And since I am not 17 yet I might loose my license because it is my 2nd speeding ticket. And if I get another ticket my insurance will be $300 a month. That's almost half of what I paid for the car
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Re: Speeding ticket? Suspended license? $300/month insurance? (VWRabbitRacer)

um...I might be going out on a limb here but....DON'T SPEED!!!
at least don't speed if you aren't willing/able to deal with the consequences.
jamie

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Re: Speeding ticket? Suspended license? $300/month insurance? (imaradiostar)

No kiddin, slow down! I thought I was bad, I have three tickets and Im only 21. If youre still in your first year of driving then........... well............ you're screwed........ and honestly you're going to regret posting this here

I have no problem with driving fast, but learn WHEN to do it. Obviously you need to brush up on that skill, and get a good pair of glasses to see the cops before they see you. If I had to pay $300 a month for insurance I wouldnt be driving, plain and simple.
-Sean

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Re: Speeding ticket? Suspended license? $300/month insurance? (Speedemon)

Does Idaho have a Traffic School option?
In CA they do, and on-line TS is even better (or so I've heard):
http://www.trafficschooltogo.com/ http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
720 Posts
Re: Speeding ticket? Suspended license? $300/month insurance? (VWCaddy)

speeding in a rabbit.
huh i may just be a granny driver but everytime i get supprised by the cops in the Bunny it turns out i'm going at least 5 below,
ya i'm a granny driver

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Re: Speeding ticket? Suspended license? $300/month insurance? (Schultz)

You speed? Yea..get a radar...and don't be "dumb" about where you speed. Basically keep it within 5 mph. Look at me..you can still rally around..and be safe. It's all common sense and where ya do it. Also..don't start takin chances if you dont know how to corner and control your car. If ya want some advice in person an some tips I'd be glad to help ya Justin, but for now just chill and get into auto-xing. Build your skills and have fun legally. Anyways come over this Friday..bug suspension swap day

·
Registered
3,466 Posts

At the risk of sounding like your mom or dad...
“I was only doing 38 in a 25. “ - 38 in a 25 zone is a BIG DEAL!
You’ve been driving for less that a year and it seems that your first ticket taught you little if anything.
Think about this for a minute or two;
My neighbor, about your age recently killed a pedestrian in a crosswalk. How would you like to carry that around for the rest of your life?
Slow down before you hurt somebody.
fat biker

·
Banned
4,913 Posts

whoa......I think some of you guys might be jumping the gun a touch. 38 in a 25 is not really that fast depending on the road configuration and it's geographics ...ie in relation to shcool, etc.
I feel for you man....just remember that for the most part cops are a holes and that you need to pick your spots if you want to travel over the limit. I am certainly not a proponent of excessive speed or driving and endangering other....but I can see plenty of spots around my town where the general traffic travels 40 in a 25. He just so happens that you get caught. My advice..........go to court with it. Good luck

·
Registered
576 Posts
Re: Speeding ticket? Suspended license? $300/month insurance? (Schultz)

Schultz wrote:
speeding in a rabbit.
**huh i may just be a granny driver but everytime i get supprised by the cops in the Bunny it turns out i'm going at least 5 below,
ya i'm a granny driver **
6 years and not 1 ticket in either of my GTI's (I do my thing at the drag track for $17 a week, my insurance is $135 a quarter for both of my bunnies, cheaper than $300 a month)
Someone once said that they loved their GTI because it was the only car you could feel like you were going fast without actually having to do it...
If anyone disagrees, take your bunny up to 110 on the highway then get back to me

·
Registered
37,708 Posts
Re: Speeding ticket? Suspended license? $300/month insurance? (ragman)

quote:[HR][/HR]If anyone disagrees, take your bunny up to 110 on the highway then get back to me
[HR][/HR]​
I just tried and it only hit 92. It FELT like 200mph though

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Re: Speeding ticket? Suspended license? $300/month insurance? (need_a_VR6)

Right on Ragman. Btw, I'm still waiting for the downpipe.
need_a_vr6, what is it like going 200mph? hehehe.

My old '82 Rabbit L felt like it was flying at 85+ mph (speedo only went up to 85mph). It would start to shimmy a little around 70-75, then around 80mph the shaking would go away
I could move the steering wheel a little from side to side and still go straight hehe....I was flying! I had no spoilers of any sort either, of course it might have helped with our light cars.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts

yeah hit 98mph in the bunny on a 2 lane at 3 in the morning in a rural area, felt like 125 in my thunderbird turbocoupe.... not that I advise or promote such driving

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Re: Speeding ticket? Suspended license? $300/month insurance? (TimboAA)

i've always wished speeding infractions were based on speed sometimes, and think they should...
in your case, 38 in a 25 is 13 miles an hour over the limit, or 150%. that really is a big deal. 25mph zones are such because there are inherant issues in the area: parks, schools, residential, etc. they make it 25mph because it should be 25. not because they feel like it.
38 in a 25 is a much bigger deal than 73 in a 60 (120% if you stickin with me) which is why i believe in the percentages.
I've had 3 speeding tickets in 8 years of driving, all within the first 5 years (last 2 only 10 days apart). only 2 i deserved and 1 that i will call bs on forever.

·
Registered
14,303 Posts
Re: Speeding ticket? Suspended license? $300/month insurance? (rockit)

Sorry to hear about your situation. However there are some things in life that are hard to learn. Given the two recent tickets and being under 17, you can expect the insurance company to go "wacko". But I imagine your Dad has already had a good talk with you. Good luck, WWR. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Re: Speeding ticket? Suspended license? $300/month insurance? (WackyWabbitRacer)

dude i totaly relate to your speeding thing, i have had my license suspended 3 times now and the best way around it is a valentine one it is the best damn radar detector.
now i am only saying this if your driving defensively, what i mean by that is paying attention to the road, checking your mirrors, watching for feet under neath cars and watching what people are doing and where they are looking in the cars ahead of you, maintaining decent following distances that are appropriate for the speed and the conditions. and not driving like a nut ball in high population density area or area with play grounds schools or lots of driveways. i do all that stuff and have 0 accidents but i am just unlucky with the tickets. all this and i commute by bicycle alot and ride alot on the road which also makes you alot better at knowing what is going on around you.
good luck with the insurance, you may want to dispute the ticket to atleast delay it or do some research on how to fight it successfully http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
110 Posts

that's funnyi'm 16 and got a ticket for going 71 in a 45... exiting a turn

anyway its funny cause im losing my lisence for 60 days starting tomorrow and now with this post..

my insurance is already $350 a month or something ridiculous like that... wonder what it'lll be once they find out about my driving habits

·
Registered
1,706 Posts

B17 eh? Those VTEC motors used in 2nd gen GSR's ?
One of my friends got a private ride in a special jet fighter. Said it's just insane. Sometimes I compare my Rabbit to a secret jet fighter

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Speeding ticket? Suspended license? $300/month insurance? (JusAnothaRabbitRacer)

Good news, insurance company said my insurance probably won't go up and if it does it will be like $10. Still leaves it under $100/month tho. And it's been a few days now, so if they are gonna yank my license they better get on the ball. But until then i'm gonna keep driving.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.