VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
theres no way the ends of my new speedo cable will fit through the tiny hole in the grommet on the fire wall. is there a way to take off the ends of the cable? looks like there crimpped on. im running a g60 speedo cable btw.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
theres no way the ends of my new speedo cable will fit through the tiny hole in the grommet on the fire wall. is there a way to take off the ends of the cable? looks like there crimpped on. im running a g60 speedo cable btw.
My new cable I just looked at has new grommets already on it and the speedo hook-up definitely fits through the holes in the metal.

Where was yours purchased from? I got one for an early German-made Jetta from GAP.

·
Banned
3,847 Posts
the new cable should have grommets on it.

If its a used cable, with no grommets, pull the cable out of the car, cut the grommets once, to get them off the cable, and then reuse them. They don't have to be air tight, just close.

If you are unsure about how tight they are when you re-use them, seal them up with RTV silicone.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yah this one didnt come with a grommet on it:( its an aftermarket one i believe. i thought the gromet had to be air tight in order for moisture to not enter the car. ill just cut it i guess and then silicone it. thanks

·
Registered
12 Golf 2.5, 99.5 Cabrio GLS
48,012 Posts
It is a good idea to be airtight add possible but the car isn'tperfect. Definitely use rtv to reseal it, but it should be fine.

·
Banned
3,847 Posts
ill get some rtv. can you show me where GAP carrys g60 speedo cables? its a cable not a sensor.

I'm not sure I am following. What's the difference in a G60 transmission and any other 4 cyl mkII transmission, besides the gearing? The gear, on the old cable (transmission side) pulls off of the speedo cable, and will snap onto the new cable, providing the right gearing, so your speedo is accurate.

The cable, the length, and how it interfaces with the transmission and speedo cluster should all be the same.

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswagen/Jetta/Transmission/41/3

·
Registered
48,012 Posts
G60 uses an 02A transmission with a different end. You need a Corrado speedo cable to match to a Mk2 speedometer and 02A transmission (or, a European G60 Mk2 speedo cable).

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
G60 uses an 02A transmission with a different end. You need a Corrado speedo cable to match to a Mk2 speedometer and 02A transmission (or, a European G60 Mk2 speedo cable).
Would it be possible to swap the speedo plug for one with a different pin-out allowing for electronic read-outs? (the 4-6 pin black plug that for my car indicates reverse and such, but not speed) - I know mk3's have O2O's but have an electronic system, is a swap possible? Probably not with a mk2 cluster, but it's also something I've been toying with in my head in terms of cleaning the engine bay up more (I was so happy to find out the speedo box in the bay gets deleted with the updated one-piece cable).

·
Registered
48,012 Posts
Mk3 came with electronic VSS, in 020 and 02A, and that will bolt into any car with those same transmissions. So you have the electronic or cable option either way.

THe Mk2 cluster needs a cable, of course, the only reason to swap to a VSS is if you change the cluster. The Mk2 speedometer has a VSS built into it, for cruise control and engine computer, it gives off the same signal as a Mk3 VSS so it can be used in place of it (for a VR6 or ABA ecu, for example).

Your big black plug is a gear indicator switch, nothing to do with speed (it signals for reverse, 5th gear for the upshift light, and other gears and signals for other cars).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts