VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I searched and read all night long and I can't find any help with this that I haven't tried. My problem is I put the new inserts in and installed everything but the drivers side is still loose.
I know what the problem is, its the slotted nut needs to be tightened down more. But I can't get the top nut off the remove the metal cap to reach the slotted nut. These inserts don't have an allen key on the top, just a 22mm nut.
I've used my impact gun, doesn't work. I've vicegripped different types of leather in diffferent fashions around the shaft of the strut with the car off the ground and on the ground. I've tried holding the top cap still, tried tightening the top nut then loosening quickly/ I basically tried everything I can think of that is readily avaliable.
I have done struts on 3 cars other than this one already(another mk2 and two subarus) and I've been able to fix this problem either with vicegrips/leather or an impact gun or both but nothing seems to work on this. The leather just gets glazed from the shaft spinning. I brought it to a local shop who is really good but they coudln't get it to tighten and told me there must be something wrong with the install is and it would need to be removed, thats how I know its the lower nut, also because I forgot to tighten it down fully
I know I can tighten it on the ground, I just need one bolt off the lift off the cap and then no more f**king banging over every bump in the road

If anyone has any good ideas please lmk, any help would be great otherwise I have to bring it to a shop again to have them do it.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Getting it tight isn't the problem, getting the top nut off to remove the cap is what I am having trouble with.
It tightened up as much as it could without a problem but it won't tighten anymore because the lower slotted nut needs to be tightened.
Thats why i am trying to take it back off, once its off tightening everything is no problem.
I also tried on the ground and up higher figuring either one would work because it has in the past but its not enough for some reason. This thing is a pain in the a**.
Thanks for the suggestion though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.