VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my ear near it as my friend raises it up and down. Seems that the exterior rubber pieces are rubbing causing that creaking sound. Maybe it could be the motor inside??? Do i just put grease on the 2 stems or do i have to unscrew the whole thing? Anyone experienced this b4?

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Re: Spoiler goes up and down with a creaking sound. Why? (VR6RedRocket)

mine was doing the same thing for a while....I just sprayed some WD40 and it fixed it!......it may be ghetto but it worked!
peace

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Re: Spoiler goes up and down with a creaking sound. Why? (PhatazzMkIVJetta)

I use graphite lock lube spray every month or so. Cheap, easy, and works great.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
Re: Spoiler goes up and down with a creaking sound. Why? (LysholmG60)

mine did that but went away on its own after awhile

·
Registered
2,165 Posts

Yeah, I think most of us have gone through that in the past. I used graphite as well.

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Re: Spoiler goes up and down with a creaking sound. Why? (TexasCorradoG60)

Graphite is the preferred method. Greasing will just attract dirt and dust on something exposed like that, and cause wear and failure over the years. WD-40 is a completely ghetto method
since all it will probably do is strip away any lubricant on the surface without offering much protection itself.
-Nate

·
Registered
109 Posts
Re: Spoiler goes up and down with a creaking sound. Why? (SaabFan)

Tried this stuff called Super Lube. It's a "multi-purpose synthetic-based oil" (actually it looks and feels like the stuff i put in my hair to keep it from frizzing in the humidity
). It comes in 2 sizes at Auto Barn--The small pen-shaped clear tube has a tiny nozzle that's convenient. It worked great! Also used it to loosen up the bulb housing in the side marker lights so I could get the old bulbs out. (Hence the "multi-purpose", I guess.) Anyway, just put it on the stalks and raise and lower the spoiler a few times to work it in. Do it with every oil change.

[Modified by CorradoCat, 3:27 PM 11-28-2001]

·
Registered
66 Posts
Re: Spoiler goes up and down with a creaking sound. Why? (CorradoCat)

I can safely say that my spoiler doesn't give me any problems, but preventive maitence never hurts though!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

I work for a VW dealer and believe it or not the best thing to use is good old fashion Baby Powder. This doesn't collect any dirt or dust. My spoiler has done it once. I used the powder and it works so smooth!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by VW Allan, 11:34 PM 11-28-2001]

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Spoiler goes up and down with a creaking sound. Why? (SaabFan)

how much is a graphite tube? where to get it? i will go down checkers this weekend to look for it. thanks for the input!!! save the spoiler

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Spoiler goes up and down with a creaking sound. Why? (VW Allan)

elaborate pls. Just apply powder on the external stems direct? no need to mix with water etc? wouldn't it look white?

·
Registered
11,641 Posts

There are a couple ways to get graphite lube. Most hardware stores have it in little tubes that should last a while, for a couple bucks. It is used to lube locks, so look or ask in that seaction of the store.
The same powder iss also used to lube some tractor-drawn farm implements, and sold in huge packages at farm-supply stores, for only a little more than the teeny tube at the hardware store.
Either way, we are talking about a teeny bit of powder applied to the spoiler once or twice a year, so the little tube will do fine.
As far as application technique, just squirt a bit of the powder on to the spoiler "stalks" and move it up and down a few times.
I think one of the main problems people have whern lubricating stuff like this is to use way too much of the wrong lubricant.
-Nate

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Re: Spoiler goes up and down with a creaking sound. Why? (zarman)

quote:[HR][/HR]mine did that but went away on its own after awhile
[HR][/HR]​
sounds like my experience. most likely its the drive cables. sounds like a rebuild!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts