VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well see there is this lonely rabbit in the junk yard (83GTi) and she has the most beautiful rear drivers side Quarter panel..witch i need for my 83...so the Q's are ..in this junk yard you can't bring torches or power tools ..so do you think that it would bee possible to pop the stop welds with just a hammer and a chisel to break the welds and ...i was thinking that i could cut the rest with 18v sawzaw...right thought the window..just above where i plan to weld it on my rabbit when the time comes ..thanks,......egg

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Re: spot welds (darthegg)

with a VERY sharp chisel maybe.
Better off using a spot weld drill bit and drilling them out first.
If you can get an 18V cordless sawzall then I would recommend getting your hands on a cordless drill and the right bit as well. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Re: spot welds (Crazy Hungarian)

cordless drill and spot weld bit, i 've been cutting spots out all day, i tried an air hammer w/ chisel bit, did too much damage and would take forever with a regular hand held chisel.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Re: spot welds (xjronx)

ask the junk yard to cut it out they should have torches, saw zall, or even a chop saw. shouldn't charge you to much

·
Registered
403 Posts
Re: spot welds (trbotwuk)

Quote, originally posted by trbotwuk »
ask the junk yard to cut it out they should have torches, saw zall, or even a chop saw. shouldn't charge you to much

What he said.
You sould ask the yard to get it for you, just be sure to let them know where you want them to cut, and also make sure that you give yourself plenty of room for error, if you know what I mean. Thats what I did with my QP, they made a big cut around the whole thing, and when I got her home I did the detail work, drilling out all the spot welds, removing all the excess metal I didn't need, etc.
BTW, DON'T USE A CHISEL!! You will tear up your QP with it, I have tried it!

Modified by VWgordo at 3:50 AM 6-30-2003

1 - 8 of 8 Posts