VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trying to get some music from my phone to the audio.

On other cars I use Bluetooth or 3.5mm Jack Aux but my 2012 Phaeton doesnt seem to have this.

I've got the autochanger but what is the purpose of those horizontal slots to the right of the CD changer?

I've read some very old posts but am I just missing how to find BT/Aux or do some cars not have them.

If mine doesnt have it what would be the easiest thing to do to get BT/Aux?

Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

(Surprised in a 2012 model these werent standard as they are in my cheapo Jap 2nd Car - what were VW thinking?)

I am guessing a Radio transmitter will be the simplest option. Although I have heard audio quality can be poor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine had the CD changer replaced with an iPod/AUX adapter. If you don't mind losing the CD changer, this may be an option.

·
Registered
68 Posts
BT and Aux

Hi,

My 2013, which should be the same as yours, has a socket to the right of the CD player in the glove box, I have two cable adaptors that came with the car, one has a USB socket so you can use a memory stick, and one has a 3.5mm socket (I've never needed that). (I think you have to chose which adaptor you want from the setup screen). The Bluetooth supports rudimentary music streaming from my phone, as did my 2008, so you should be able to make something work.

Keith

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have an FM transmitter temporarily while I'm in the same boat as you trying to sort out Bluetooth in my 08. You're right, quality isn't great. To get the least feedback make sure the transmitter and phone volumes are up to full and then adjust the overall volume with the car settings on the wheel. I was recommended a Dension Bluetooth adapter which replaces the CD changer and allows you to change songs with the MFSW and other integration.

My other idea was replacing the screen with an LCD or AmoLED touchscreen, splicing the input to the screen and connecting an audroid auto module to the other input, then connecting something like the TV button to switch between the two inputs (infotainment and android auto) but cant seem to find anybody who still does this.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The simplest way of getting audio into the Phaeton is using this: http://www.solisto.de/en/caraudio.

Harry
Hi Harry,

I had a quick look through. I have a Google Pixel 2 XL which has no AUX and obviously no iPod connection, only Bluetooth, so it looks as though I wouldn't be able to sync up unless I got the Solisto.Pro and used a memory stick. Do you have any other recommendations? I've been looking around but just want to make sure I find one compatible with the J523 head unit from my 08.

I thought about getting a small AUX-Bluetooth adapter so I can link my phone to the Bluetooth connector that then plugs into the AUX and connects that way but have heard the quality isn't as good, and I'd also have to work in piggybacking the power to that off the 12V and it just seems like a lot of unnecessary hassle. Any recommendations in my situation?

Guy

·
Registered
2011MY Phaeton 3.0TDI V6
680 Posts
Hi MrGeorge,

With your RNS810 head unit you can retrofit one of these to plug into your phone. It uses the aux output to connect to a standard audio jack and it only costs a few pence but needs the head unit out to fit (quite easy really).
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUX-AUDI...D310-RNS510-/332223349207?hash=item4d5a0e01d7

The "purpose of those horizontal slots to the right of the CD changer" are just credit card holders.

Robbie.

·
Registered
326 Posts
You could get a bluetooth to aux adaptor which is what I use. It's a pain having to charge it now and then but it's still the simplest option.

Harry
Hi Harry,

Yeah that's what I thought, just if I were going to do it I would hard wire the charging cable from the 12V behind the head unit and just keep the Bluetooth adapter on at all times then, saves me having to plug it in to charge. Or I guess I could charge it off a rear passenger door 12V as I have I think 6 in the cabin in total and one in the boot, but then need to run the AUX from there to the glove box... I just hate cables though, I hate having them showing in the car so I try and hard wire behind the dash where I can, might be difficult with this one!

What is the quality like from the Bluetooth/AUX adapter, I heard there is more interference? It would be an upgrade on my FM transmitter I'm sure but are you able to use the MFSW to change songs and stuff?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
It's not as good as the sound directly from the CD player, but the car is such an acoustically compromised environment when you're driving that it's good enough.

Harry

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
This works perfectly in mine, with zero interference and excellent sound quality (as Harry points out, it's a compromised sound environment anyway). Simple to install, and cheaper than the Solisto, I think I paid $115. Not sure if the 2008 has a CD player or not, mine did, I removed it and the Dension adapter plugs directly into the CD player connector, I didn't even need to remove the head unit.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Ah that's great thanks for the link, I'll have to get one of those. I have a cd drive yeah, there's that and the navigation disk drive in the glove box. Thanks!

·
Registered
326 Posts
This works perfectly in mine, with zero interference and excellent sound quality (as Harry points out, it's a compromised sound environment anyway). Simple to install, and cheaper than the Solisto, I think I paid $115. Not sure if the 2008 has a CD player or not, mine did, I removed it and the Dension adapter plugs directly into the CD player connector, I didn't even need to remove the head unit.
I got paid yesterday so was looking at grabbing one of these. I just had a look and it says "Gateway Lite BT enables music playback from a USB storage or iPod / iPhone through your vehicle’s entertainment system, using the buttons of the car stereo for basic control. This device comes with Bluetooth handsfree and music streaming (via A2DP).". Does this also work with connecting via an Android phone with Bluetooth and playing music directly from my phone as opposed to through the USB port?

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Yes, that's what the BT A2DP interface is. Just make sure you get the one specifically for the 2008 Phaeton, any other harness won't work.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yes, that's what the BT A2DP interface is. Just make sure you get the one specifically for the 2008 Phaeton, any other harness won't work.
Ah lovely thanks, just wanted to double check! Thinking of doing a tablet mount on the dash with wireless charging and Bluetooth so no messy wires, hopefully this all works! Thanks

·
Registered
326 Posts
So unfortunately they only supply ones for the 2009+ model, with the RNS810, which continues the issue of it being difficult to set up Bluetooth with the J532 unit in all pre-2009 models. Has anybody else with a pre-2009 Phaeton (GP0/GP1) managed to fit in full Bluetooth? My fail-safe will be to use the Solisto and run an AUX out of it into a Bluetooth receiver, hard wired so it doesn't need charging.

·
Registered
2011MY Phaeton 3.0TDI V6
680 Posts
I wonder for GP0/1 cars with the J532 and factory fitted phone, whether it is possible to directly swap the bluetooth phone module (under the parcel shelf) for the more modern module 3D0035730A or B version to give music streaming ?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Huh, I went onto the site and it only option that came up for Phaetons was 2009+ so I just assumed you had a later model and were checking it worked on mine with the earlier head unit. If yours works on a 2004 I should be fine, thanks.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
I think the problem may be that the latest model, the Gateway 3, only supports the later cars. I believe, however, that the only difference between the Phaeton and the Audi models is the harness, so you should be able to find a combination that works.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts