VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coworker spotted this one in the bay area, California. it had manufacturer plates.
What is it? I don't recognize the badge.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Chinese garbage. I'm frightened what will happen when the Chinese finally start selling their own brands in the us. Americans always want more for less and the Chinese are willing to give them that by cutting corners in safety and reliability.

·
Registered
85,900 Posts
Chinese garbage. I'm frightened what will happen when the Chinese finally start selling their own brands in the us. Americans always want more for less and the Chinese are willing to give them that by cutting corners in safety and reliability.
People used to say the same thing about the Japanese, and then the Koreans.
And the Chinese look to be at a much better place before entering the US market than either the Japanese or Koreans were.

·
Premium Member
'08 Saab 9-3, '66 Vespa
8,782 Posts
People used to say the same thing about the Japanese, and then the Koreans.
And the Chinese look to be at a much better place before entering the US market than either the Japanese or Koreans were.
True, but people also used to say that about the Russians, and that hasn't really worked out as well.

Neither the Koreans nor the Japanese have a culture that supports cutting corners and intellectual theft like the Chinese seem to have.

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes-Benz 300SL
32,168 Posts
Some info on the production ES8: https://blog.caranddriver.com/nio-es8-an-electric-suv-from-nextev/

How do you know it's garbage? And you own a car from a Chinese-owned company. There are multiple Volvos currently sold in the US that are built in China.

·
Registered
48,754 Posts
How do you know it's garbage? And you own a car from a Chinese-owned company. There are multiple Volvos currently sold in the US that are built in China.

I didn't know that. Which ones? Not that I don't believe you but do you have any window stickers showing the build info?

·
Registered
2018 SQ5
11,830 Posts
You mean like almost every other electronic or appliance in your life? Where's all the death and dismemberment?

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes-Benz 300SL
32,168 Posts
I didn't know that. Which ones? Not that I don't believe you but do you have any window stickers showing the build info?
The long-wheelbase S60 Inscription is built in China and has been on sale in the US since the summer of 2015, which made Volvo the first automaker to export premium cars from China. And as of the 2018 model year, all new S90s are built in China (and they're all the long-wheelbase model). Some of the upcoming 40-series and 60-series models also will be built in China, and the new Polestar 1 will be built exclusively in China.

Slightly old, but some more info: https://www.media.volvocars.com/glo...ction-in-china-and-unveils-new-china-strategy

·
Registered
1,872 Posts

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Some info on the production ES8: https://blog.caranddriver.com/nio-es8-an-electric-suv-from-nextev/

Yeah I own a swedish built S90 from a swedish company which is funded by chinese business men. Not sure how that means I have a chinese car built by a chinese company? That is why I specifically said when they start selling their own cars in the US, not when they start selling cars built in china. We have plenty of chinese cars running around- ie the buick envision, S90L, etc..

And I don't have to be the first one to show you the knock off syndrome, or the fact that nearly every chinese brand uses parts bin technology from 10 years earlier. Spare me.

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes-Benz 300SL
32,168 Posts
Yeah I own a swedish built S90 from a swedish company which is funded by chinese business men. Not sure how that means I have a chinese car built by a chinese company? That is why I specifically said when they start selling their own cars in the US, not when they start selling cars built in china. We have plenty of chinese cars running around- ie the buick envision, S90L, etc..
ok dude.

And I don't have to be the first one to show you the knock off syndrome, or the fact that nearly every chinese brand uses parts bin technology from 10 years earlier. Spare me.
But how do you know that the NIO ES8 specifically is garbage?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts