VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wonder if this is someone on the board?

Wanting to get info on road noise, increased vibrations, etc... I was going to do something like this to my '84 CGT but went w/ an upgraded dash swap instead.
This is what my car looked like during the process

So does anyone know the VW in the first pic?

· Registered
7,873 Posts
Re: Spotted this in Leavenworth, anyone from the board? (- GT style -)

Quote, originally posted by - GT style - »

So does anyone know the VW in the first pic?

It's a Rabbit.

· Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Spotted this in Leavenworth, anyone from the board? (4Rings)

Quote, originally posted by 4Rings »

It's a Rabbit.

U sure? Judging from the GTI wheel, maybe it's a Ford

Anyways, trying to find the owner of the car not if it's a VW or something.

· Registered
1,624 Posts

yeah....um, let's say I've been working diligently (not really) on a dash swap for a couple of months and other things have gotten in the way (not really)....

it's the ultralight weight mod

· Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Spotted this in Leavenworth, anyone from the board? (MorpheusMac)

Quote, originally posted by MorpheusMac »
yeah....um, let's say I've been working diligently (not really) on a dash swap for a couple of months and other things have gotten in the way (not really)....

it's the ultralight weight mod

haha

And here I thought U'd left it out as a weight mod after all.
I was thinking of leaving mine out, beside looks is there any reason not to keep it like that? Do U find the road/engine noise to loud?
Any idea on the weight U'r saving if U didn't complete the dash swap(& left it looking stylish)?

· Registered
1,624 Posts

I drive a rabbit man....road noise is a daily occurance whether it is loud or not depends on what gear and how hard the loud pedal is being used

The road noise is more a condition of the lack of sound deadening in the car but I enjoy it since I don't have a radio
I'm saving right around 40 lbs minus the dash so I'd imagine in your Audi it would be substantial improvement
I like this car but I have a new beater I will be throwing around on the street, this one is going to be put back together and driven daily and semi-comfortably

· Registered
7,873 Posts

U sure? Judging from the GTI wheel, maybe it's a Ford

What, are you trying to be a smartass??

· Registered
19,668 Posts
Re: Spotted this in Leavenworth, anyone from the board? (4Rings)

Looks to be Mars Red too...

· Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Spotted this in Leavenworth, anyone from the board? (MEISTER)

Quote, originally posted by MEISTER »
Looks to be Mars Red too...

Actually his cars white not red.
If U'r refering to the second pic that's tornado red, not mars red.

· Registered
781 Posts

If U'r refering to the second pic that's tornado red, not mars red.

Yea, I learned that lesson after I paid a shop $80 to mix up a few cans of mars red to paint a bumper....

· Registered
984 Posts

I yanked out my rabbit's dash also, looking to save a bunch of weight. Actually I even yanked out ALL the factory wiring also. Used a 12 circut street-legal race car harness with it's own fuse box and everything. I have already got all the body wiring completed and am now onto switchs and gauges. Should be fun!

· Registered
984 Posts
Re: Spotted this in Leavenworth, anyone from the board? (MorpheusMac)

I am a Painless Wiring dealer at work. I just decided that I wanted to save some weight and eliminate the useless factory wiring. Now I just have the 12 circuits that I need to make it street-legal(somewhat), and a fusebox that can be put anywhere. They are kinda pricey, thought, usually around $400 or so, but if you are building a GM, and especially a camaro or something they are a godsend, as everything just plugs in. Mine is a universal harness (painless part number 50002 I believe) so you have to make some adjustments on the harness. The painless is setup for the turn/brake lights to be the same (1157 bulb) so you have to do some modifying to get a seperate turn signal and brake wire, but it failrly easy. Anyway, that was kinda long, so let me know if you have any more questions. I may have some pics somewhere if you want to see them also. Lates.......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.