VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my GTI for a few weeks. I feel sort of silly for not noticing this earlier. The dealer didn't remove the spring spacers. After I took them out, the ride is much improved. Ride height is about the same. You might want to double check yours.

·
Registered
320 Posts
i checked out my gti on Saturday and noticed that I have these spacers on the front springs but not the back. So I called the service department and they said that they are left on for a more stiff ride, you can take them off or leave them on. But why would they take the back off but not the front?
I haven't taken them off yet. I want to see if I like it with them in.

·
Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
26,953 Posts
Re: (swiftcrx)

Quote, originally posted by swiftcrx »
i checked out my gti on Saturday and noticed that I have these spacers on the front springs but not the back. So I called the service department and they said that they are left on for a more stiff ride, you can take them off or leave them on. But why would they take the back off but not the front?

Sounds like something desert would say

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Re: (swiftcrx)

Quote, originally posted by swiftcrx »

Your service department is just trying to avoid sounding like they forgot something. They are not meant to stay on the car after shipping.

·
Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
26,953 Posts
Re: (VWYankee)

Quote, originally posted by VWYankee »
Your service department is just trying to avoid sounding like they forgot something. They are not meant to stay on the car after shipping.

Your car ships with a big red sticker that has pictures so that the PDI person can take them off. Engrish not required. Removal of the spacer and the label are part of PDI.

·
Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
26,953 Posts
Re: (shaunyeap)

Quote, originally posted by shaunyeap »
I was just reading through CAR magazine's long termer GTI. They appeared to have suffered from the same problem. So i guess it's not just in the US that these things are happening

So the $5/hr pdi guy is slackin' and not taking them off. Guess it would happen more than once cause you don't have to do it on a mkiv

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Re: Spring Spacers (ejconcepcion)

After reading this thread I checked my new GTI, and sure enough, the dealer had left my spacers on, too. Here are a few pics I took of the process:
After jacking the car up, they popped right off. Both of the front springs had 2 spacers each.

Here's a before shot I took last week:

And here's an after shot from this afternoon:

The ride is definitely improved, and the ride height looks much more normal, IMO.

Modified by BrianGriffin at 1:39 PM 4-2-2006

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.