VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, went out to start up the Cabriolet after a brief albeit cold winter and the engine refused to turn over. tried jumper cables, still no dice. Ran fine when I parked her, even started her up a few times over the winter - no problems. When I had the wife turn the key with cables attached, I hear a clicking near the tb, but like i said, it won't turn. TIA for pointing me in the right direction.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Re: Spring start up problem '88 Cabriolet (Nash20thAE)

battery might be so dead that the cables dont help enough.... do you have lights and such?? to prove you have power.. from the battery?

·
Registered
3,246 Posts

couple thoughts;
remove the battery cables, inspect for corrosion, fix as needed
pull the battery, slow charge, have it tested
fat biker

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Spring start up problem '88 Cabriolet (fat biker)

THanks for the input, but if all the electrical components are working off of a jump (ie. radio, interior and exterior lights) would battery replacement/cable replacement be wise?? I'm sure the battery could use a charge, but i'm wondering starter? What's the clicking...fuel pressure? TIA

·
Registered
4,847 Posts

Is the clicking near the Throttle Body or near the fuel distributor/air flow meter? It sounds like the frequency valve that is located by the fuel distributor and is expected.
HTH
Steve

·
Registered
411 Posts
is it an automatic? reason i ask is my donor's car had an auto in it and the starter was on the backside just below the exhaust manifold, which could be the starter selnoid, try tapping the starter with a small hammer while your wife turns the key, if it starts replace it.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Re: (CodyC)

Quote, originally posted by CodyC »
hehe, betcha that is what it is, ive replaced many starters that have this problem,

yes startes on autos suffer more that standard trans.
to test your starter bypassing all the robbing wire circuits, connect the jumper cables then disconnect the small wire that goes from the firewall to the starter it has a spade connector somewhere in the midle, use a thick insulated wire to feed power from the battery positive post to the disconnected wire that goes to the starter, see if it will turn, if it does not then plan on replacing the starter
of course you are trying to start your car in park or neutral right? because some safety switches on automatic still work

·
Registered
411 Posts
Re: (stevelangford)

haha that reminds me of my 77 f150 the safety switch mas mis aligned so i just took it off and fixed it so you dont need it, well i went through the garage door one morning and needless to say i dont park there anymore hehe...........aaah goodtimes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts