VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Re: Springs and shocks going poll (mr4te)

i think most of us here usually changed the schocks and springs at the same time. don't know too many people that only change their springs for fear of ruining the shocks.
i only know one person that tried it on his MKIII GTI. His shocks bottomed out in less than 2 months

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Springs and shocks going poll (VR6 Kid)

So even if you go with a 1.5 drop it not good?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts

Always install matched springs & shocks. Upgraded springs with stock shocks is just asking for trouble . . . not to mention 2 suspension installs.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts

if you install the vw / eibach springs on stock 'sport' suspension shocks, you'll be fine for quite a while... a friend went 18,000 miles on his without issues (changed them just to go lower -> did full suspension then...)
and i've had them for about 10,000 miles or so now... no issues.. and no bottoming out.
http://www.abella.net/vw/eibach.html

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Springs and shocks going poll (John A)

Dam it's dead locked!! Well if I have to buy shocks then I'll be selling my neuspeed springs can't afford to spend $1000 on shocks

·
Registered
18,207 Posts

if you have to pay for labor, then it's probably worth it to get shocks + springs at once.... myself, i just installed the springs one saturday morning in front of my folks house, and if i blow the shocks i can just buy new ones and put them in the next weekend..

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

do you need any special tool to install them?

·
Registered
18,207 Posts

here's my how-to: http://www.abella.net/vw/eibach.html
email me with questions, that is one of my less-detailed how-tos...
i had all the tools, but most people won't have a spring compressor... which you'll need (But can rent...)

[Modified by John A, 9:44 AM 4-11-2002]

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

None except an 18mm socket ($2 at Home Depot) and 7mm allen (ha ha, noone but Active sells them, and I think they only had one).

·
Registered
212 Posts

I dunno if im lucky or i just dont know how it feels to have shocks that are bad, but, i had my car lowered with H&R race springs with a 2.25inch drop on my jetta IV at about 8000 miles along with a set of 17inch rims, to date i have the same set of springs shocks, and rims, and 72000 miles, i notice the car does some major nose diving on aggressive breaking but i dont know what kind of shocks to look for? Bilstien, konigs? what would i look for to sit even with the 2in drop?
Thanks ~Serge~
p.s. good topic http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

ok how come VW sell's and installs the eibach kit without shocks? it's a 1.5 drop so if I install my neuspeed sports it shouldn't be a problem right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.