VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Banned
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car always seems a little hesitant in the morning before it warms up. Then it seems to be good all day long even if it cools off. I figure my fuel pump is just old and it has to build up a bit of residual pressure to keep smooth starting all day long. It's not that bad hesitation, just seems like it doesn't want to start too fast early in the morning. Probably cause all the fluids are cold and the gas pump isn't building up instant pressure.
Any thoughts?

· Banned
18,160 Posts
Re: Sputter in the Morning (madd92jetta)

Quote, originally posted by madd92jetta »
I've been looking for a good VW technician in PA too. Oh wait, I've read your threads already, nevermind.......

HAHA I wouldn't let him put air in my tire for free.

· Registered
12,078 Posts
Re: Sputter in the Morning (sabatosh)

I think it took a lot of guts for Sabatosh to ask. Most car shops will just BS you and make crap up, rather than admit they don't know something and ask.
"For the proud will be humbled, but the humble will be honored."
Luke 14:11

· Banned
12,968 Posts
Re: Sputter in the Morning (GodSquadMandrake)

Quote, originally posted by GodSquadMandrake »
Most car shops will just BS you and make crap up, rather than admit they don't know something and ask.

No see that's the problem, if he's a shop what does he tell his customers

· Banned
4,593 Posts
Re: Sputter in the Morning (Vdubs)

Quote, originally posted by Vdubs »

he's a shop what does he tell his customers

I'm not sure what your problem is yet, let me ask the vortex gods, they can help.

Modified by madd92jetta at 7:39 PM 9-9-2005

· Banned
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I have an idea it's fuel related...everything else in the system is new. I feel it's just a quirk that comes from the old age of the fuel system. Could be a lot of things, just was wondering if anyone out there had this problem or it was so common, or there was anything they did that corrected it in perticular.
I know many things can cause such a suddle problem. Without doing a lot of testing on the cold start system, checking atomization of all the injectors, and testing fuel pressure I don't know perticularly which is the cause, do you?
It's not really anything, it just seems a little whimpy the throttle is bit hesitant for the first two seconds after I back it out of the drive way from a dead cold start. Never stalled out, never really was a problem...worth fixing.

· Banned
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
heheheh, see everyone has something different. It's not an easy, call but since I had a problem with the thermotime switch, that two prong one on the bottom of the engine coolant junction. I think that's where the problem is....cause I had the prong wires on backwards and it would have massive start up problems.
It's only supposed to be a resistor that fluxuates with the coolant temperature. I don't think it's supposed to have any polarity.
I think that's the best place to start...but it's not really a problem. I just notice it...so I figured it's on of many aging fuel components. Without doing any testing hard to say, but looking back on that one event after doing the head, I'd have to say that switch is a high candidate.
Coolant temp sensor problems are more dramatic. Fuel pressure problems are more symptomatic, as well as the other problems, like vacuum leaks give you a crazy speedometer needle among other things.

· Banned
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I haven't performed any diagnostics, I just know from experience what to look at first. It starts right up, so I don't think it's low fuel pressure, I just changed my fuel filter and it was clean, so there's no gunk in the tank either. I'm getting great gas mileage too..new O2 sensor, new ignition system, new everything really, injectors, fuel lines, pump isn't new...
I was just wondering if this was common in the older CIS cars, just cause it's CIS. BUt probably it is some sensor in the cold start system making it a little slow to warm up and come up to power.
But I'm talking seconds here, it's working fairly well. Just when I back out of the drive way for a brief second there is hesitation when accelerating sometimes.
I have an automatic, so maybe everyone in here thinks that's weird. Maybe it's more common in the older automatics...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.