VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Same mounting points?
I don't know either. It would take some Internet research.

I do know that E46-type bi-xenon projector units (for old 3-type BMWs, I think...?) will bolt directly into the old no-longer-available Hella halogen projector housings. That is, the four mounting bolts are in precisely the same locations. I suspect (but am not 100% sure) that those Hella halogen projector housings are very similar to the OEM VW bi-xenon housings. So if E46-type units will fit the Depos, then yes.

I'd expect the shutter wiring to be the same. Don't know about the auto-leveling...

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
Looking at these to order. 60 day return policy:

They do not say who the manufacture is but the last time I looked at the aftermarket for HID Bi-Xenon it was only Depo making these. Lets use know how it goes.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Looking at these to order. 60 day return policy:

Well, I think the listing is kind of sketchy.

After looking at the listing a bit, like GTI's points out, there's no info as to the manufacturer.

It says these are "HID/xenon." But on the long list of applications, they include the 2.5L Rabbit for each year. The "Rabbit," and with that engine, was only offered in the U.S.; and we're very familiar with it. It never came with the bi-xenon headlights.

In case you're thinking they might be referring to the GTI, that's listed separately.

And the Rabbit vs. the GTI headlights had very different connectors.

The image they've got of the back of the housing...
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Rim Automotive exterior

...sure looks like the genuine OEM Volkswagen bi-xenon headlight, which looks like this (from the ECS Tuning web site):
Automotive lighting Product Automotive tire Headlamp Bumper

And I think I can see the AL (Automotive Lighting) logo on one of the rubber covers of the Ebay headlight. That's a brand of Magneti Marelli, who was the OE manufacturer of the Mk5 bi-xenon headlights.

Those Ebay lights are much less than half the price, but come without bulbs or ballast.

So... Sketchy. But maybe...

Like you say, free shipping and returns, to and from Las Vegas. Which is somehow fitting... ;)

Yes, definitely let us know!!

·
Registered
301 Posts

After looking at the listing a bit, like GTI's points out, there's no info as to the manufacturer.

It says these are "HID/xenon." But on the long list of applications, they include the 2.5L Rabbit for each year. The "Rabbit," and with that engine, was only offered in the U.S.; and we're very familiar with it. It never came with the bi-xenon headlights.

In case you're thinking they might be referring to the GTI, that's listed separately.

View attachment 155588

...sure looks like the genuine OEM Volkswagen bi-xenon headlight, which looks like this (from the ECS Tuning web site):
View attachment 155589
And I think I can see the AL (Automotive Lighting) logo on one of the rubber covers of the Ebay headlight. That's a brand of Magneti Marelli, who was the OE manufacturer of the Mk5 bi-xenon headlights.

Those Ebay lights are much less than half the price, but come without bulbs or ballast.

Like you say, free shipping and returns, to and from Las Vegas. Which is somehow fitting... ;)

Ha, thanks. Placed the order a short while ago, we'll see how it goes!

·
Registered
9,818 Posts

View attachment 155588

View attachment 155589

The pictures in that Ebay ad is a mix of Factory & Depo, you can see the Depo name and part number in one pic. Just not sure why they are not stating the manufacture.....the reviews that have been posted for recent sale look go though....

Automotive tire Grille Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive design

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Is that a crack by the label?
Oh, jeez... You mean just above and centered on the bar-code label? I can't tell... Hope not...

Anyway, Lencho, what would be really useful is if you could open up one of the round covers on the back, and take some good clear photos of how the projector units are bolted into the housings. To see if OEM projectors would fit there, if necessary. Better yet, maybe get some measurements between each of the (should be) four mounting screws. They should not be in a perfect square pattern...

Oh, and also, how the ballast and igniters look. And if possible the auto leveling system... :)

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
So I am back, but...my GF dropped the headlight assemblies at the shop, lol. Go figure, when I get this car back, will attempt pics
By "dropped," I assume you mean she took them to the shop? Not as in, dropped them on the floor and broke them?

That's too bad. It's going to be really tough to get good photos of the insides of the housings when they're installed on the car...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Oh, jeez... You mean just above and centered on the bar-code label? I can't tell... Hope not...

Anyway, Lencho, what would be really useful is if you could open up one of the round covers on the back, and take some good clear photos of how the projector units are bolted into the housings. To see if OEM projectors would fit there, if necessary. Better yet, maybe get some measurements between each of the (should be) four mounting screws. They should not be in a perfect square pattern...

Oh, and also, how the ballast and igniters look. And if possible the auto leveling system... :)
How are these?

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
By "dropped," I assume you mean she took them to the shop? Not as in, dropped them on the floor and broke them?

That's too bad. It's going to be really tough to get good photos of the insides of the housings when they're installed on the car...
The story here, one of the lights did have a touch of break in it. I was able to reach out to the seller on eBay, and they sent me a replacement without having to send back the broken one. If you have more pics in mind, please let me know. I am bringing up in the morning tomorrow.

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
Will seeing that you have a broken spare you could take it apart, the hid capsule and compare to the original VW unit and see if the will swap or not. Also look at the range motor and compare them and how they mount. Last but not least the light pattern on a blank wall would be nice.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts