VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Will seeing that you have a broken spare you could take it apart, the hid capsule and compare to the original VW unit and see if the will swap or not. Also look at the range motor and compare them and how they mount. Last but not least the light pattern on a blank wall would be nice.
Yes.

To amplify, it would be very useful to know -- if the Depo beam pattern isn't that good -- whether an OEM projector can be transplanted into the Depo housing. The HID optics are completely dependent on the projector unit -- its reflector and its small round 3" lens; so this might be a cost-effective way to fix at least two common deterioration issues with the OEM bi-xenon headlights -- the yellowing of the outside lenses, and the deterioration of the interior wiring.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
If only yellowing I can deal with that by sanding the clearing with 2K clear but the internal wiring that might be a bridge to far. Would be nice to find out what will fit in the Depo from OE Bi-Xenon if anything.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
If only yellowing I can deal with that by sanding the clearing with 2K clear
That would be nice -- but I'm not convinced. I've always heard that there's originally some kind of UV-protectant coating on the lenses, that gets removed with sanding or buffing. And the yellowing comes right back after a couple months. Whie 2K Clearcoat is basically just...a clearcoat. Or...?

We fortunately haven't had a yellowing problem with either of our Mk5's. My 2009 GLI's headlights are the original bi-xenons -- I haven't even had to replace the HID bulbs. The lenses are micro-pitted, of course; but still perfectly clear.

Admittedly I replaced the headlights on my wife's 2009 Jetta with the (now-discontinued) Hella halogen projectors about five years ago.

I attribute the state on our lenses to 1) these being garaged cars; and maybe 2) the fact that the DRLs have been disabled since new.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts