VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, soon-to-be dad beginning a search for a small-family SUV (with an emphasis on sport, I hope). I'm on my 3rd GTI but I'm afraid the 2dr mk7 needs to make way for something with a bit more space and flexibility-hoping to pick your collective brains for thoughts and alternate perspectives!

Constraints and details:
1) Budget: $55-60k
2) Daily commute: 70mi
3) Needs AWD
4) No need for 3rd row
5) Safety, car seat compatibility necessary
6) At least 300mi range
7) Some towing capacity
8) Charging stations at work and in town, can install a 220v at home

Full disclosure here: it’s been over 5 years since I’ve taken a good look at the SUV landscape and never through the lens of family-friendly options. I'm wondering if an SQ5 or Q5e would tick many/all of these boxes. Although I haven’t driven it yet I suspect an SQ5 will keep my daily drive interesting-this is important to me. Moreover, as we tend to have a good amount of cargo already (dogs, crate etc) I wonder if the 2.0T in the base Q5 (260hp/270tq) might be taxed a bit too much with AWD and increased weight (let me know if I’m off-base here). The Q5e seems pretty interesting as well with a modest increase in mpg and increased power and might alleviate those concerns.

Really appreciate any input, suggestions etc here-thanks a bunch in advance and let me know what you think!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Was in your shoes a year ago (baby is now 11 months old) and would have considered exactly what your'e looking at.
However, now that the baby is here (we also have a dog) we are highly looking at a 3 row SUV with captains chairs. If you EVER have (or plan on having) anybody else in the car with the car seat you'll be glad to have the third row.
Were now looking in the same price range as you and have looked at the following all in V6 with AWD:
Q7 Premium
Atlas SEL R line
Kia Telluride SX Nightfall
Snd were going to go with the Kia, which pains me because I have an S4 and pushed so hard for the Q7.
But at the end of the dayt he FULLY LOADED Kia is $50k and on par with the Q7.
Either way, congrats and welcome to fatherhood. Its awesome!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts