Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
I just learned this...Interesting

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Came across one more short documentary video. Learned a couple new nuggets of info about it, like it has a periscope.

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
went to the Seattle Museum of Flight over the weekend. saw this modified SR-71 with a drone attached called an MD21. Had never heard of them before. They built 2, and this is the one remaining example. This plane filmed the other ones crash.

Neat stuff, never knew this thing existed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_D-21

crash video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w64fyqmLEU

Also learned today that there is another D21 at an air museum within 30 minutes of me. I've been there a few times and must have looked past it. :screwy:

Anyone in the Seattle area or within a few hours should really check out the museum, it was incredible!

·
Senior Sloth
2,690 Posts
Anyone in the Seattle area or within a few hours should really check out the museum, it was incredible!
It really is an awesome museum and the Wing of Courage is fantastic. :thumbup: Been there many, many times

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Speaking of the article and interview with Richard Graham above, I got an autographed copy of his book. Hoping it arrives by the end of the week! :)

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Didn't see this mentioned yet. Sorry if I missed it.

LASRE

NASA said:
The NASA/Lockheed Martin Linear Aerospike SR-71 Experiment (LASRE) concluded its flight operations phase in November 1998. The experiment's goal was to provide in-flight data to help Lockheed Martin validate the computational predictive tools they were using to determine the aerodynamic performance of a future potential reusable launch vehicle.

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
funny how excited he got about seeing one. there is one at a bodunk airport museum here in northern california, at the santa rosa airport. i always thought it was an alien plane when i was a kid. :laugh:

i was fortunate enough to visit the museum of flight in seattle last year, the location of the 1 remaining MD-21. the plane that filmed the others crash.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I saw the MD-21 in Seattle years ago. That plane was beyond mint and had the most visitor friendly display of any of these planes. I think they also had a sectioned engine with the buick starter cart if I remember right.

The walk in display at the Dulles is incredible looking, but that plane is so roped off, it is more like a model kit than an education tool.

Did anyone study the telemetry logs of the SR-71's record setting flight from coast to coast at the Dulles display? I looked like a weirdo studying those blurry logs for a good long while, but there is some incredible insight on how the plane operated on those logs.

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's)
39,963 Posts
A pretty awesome tour of the SR-71 at Udvar-Hazy.

"The Sound of Freedom"

121 - 140 of 148 Posts