VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys-
A recent topic made me curious about some of Ssangyong Motor's products, so i found their website and started browsing. Didn't find anything particularly interesting. Korando is pretty cool. Remember its big lawsuit with Jeep a couple of years ago? On their website, it says something like "with its American Jeep-influenced styling" I laughed.
But one of their products caught my attention in particular. The Ssangyong Chairman. To me, it looks like it is a rebadged and reheadlighted old school S-class. But I could be wrong. A lot of componets of it and its body style remind me of the old S-Class and I know Ssangyong/Daewoo has ties to Mercedes-Benz and I was just wondering if they have any relationship.
On a sidenote, look at this relationship:
DAIMLER-CHRYSLER OWNS CHRYSLER, MERCEDES BENZ
CHRYSLER OWNS JEEP
MERCEDES-BENZ SHARES WITH DAEWOO
Kinda is funny how Jeep and Daewoo would get into a legal battle, but whatever...
...Edit a smaller pic. - CC

http://210.105.204.8:8080/showroom/chairman/ch_main.html

[Modified by ClownCar, 9:51 PM 4-10-2002]

·
25,560 Posts
Re: Ssangyong Chairman=MB S-Class? (PeteS99)

It probably is, Ssangyong used to (maybe they still do?) make a big suv with a mercedes engine in it and big powered by mercedes stickers on it, it wouldnt surprise me if the partnership went farther.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Re: Ssangyong Chairman=MB S-Class? (ClownCar)

quote:[HR][/HR]Ssangyong builds the last generation E-Class under license from Mercedes-Benz and calls it the Chairman.[HR][/HR]​
Yep - this isn't the first time Ssangyong has 'inherited' the previous generation body presses from MB.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Re: Ssangyong Chairman=MB S-Class? (JettaBoy04)

Ssangyong had strong ties with Mercedes before they were bought by Daewoo. The Chairman actually isn´t based on the S-Class, but on the W124 E-Class.
The connection with Daewoo seems to have ended.
They have 5 products now:
the Chairman (luxury limousine)
the Korando (small SUV)

the Musso (big SUV)

the Istana (based on an old Mercedes Van, sold as Mercedes in some markets):

the Rexton (new model, big SUV, looks pretty cool in person, IMHO) :

Their official homepage is http://www.smotor.com

·
Registered
34,664 Posts

Chairman has the best fit-and-finish and built-quality of all Korean products, thanks to Mercedes's technical assistance. Everything from panel gaps to leather seats put together in top-notch fashion. The wood trim and plastic used inside also very high-quality.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I believe thise headlights on the Chairman are from the previous generation S-Class coupe, or SL while the body style is the S-Class sedan, or the S. I don't like this combination as much as I like teh S or CL in pure form, but Ssangyong does make it much more modern looking. I beleive that the only reason MB allows Ssangyong to sell the Chariman as it is is because it is sold in odd markets such as Korea, India, and Eastern Europe, where a car like this would not intrude into MB sales. If someone there wants to buy a MB, they would buy the real thing. I wonder what pricing is like on one of these. I would love to buy on just to confuse everyone here.
For reference, this is the previous generation CL, where I believe the headlights come from. It will be interesting to see what happens to this car of Ssangyong when the E and S classes are replaced in the next couple of years.

[Modified by JettaBoy04, 5:01 PM 4-10-2002]

·
Registered
34,664 Posts

Ssangyong or Daewoo, sold the Chairman, at a much lower price than equivalent E and S-Class because they don't have the brand cachet and repuation of the tri-star firm.
In HK, a Chairman with 3.2 straight 6 sold at a price of a C320 Elegance. The 2.3 4 banger one sold at a price of a C240 Elegance.

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
Re: Ssangyong Chairman=MB S-Class? (A4Jetta)

The Chairman sets new standards for Korean cars in quality and driveability, and is undoubtedly excellent value as such. I don't know if the world market (outside Asia) is ready for a luxury Daewoo, but it may well help the brand's image.

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Re: Ssangyong Chairman=MB S-Class? (Apollo-Soyuz 1975)

quote:[HR][/HR]JettaBoy04, as a dialup user I must publicly humiliate you by asking what the feck you were thinking posting a 1.4 megabyte BMP
[HR][/HR]​
It wouldn't even load with my cable modem.

I've taken the liberty of replacing it with a smaller pic.

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
Re: Ssangyong Chairman=MB S-Class? (ClownCar)

Yeah, it didn't load on my cable connection too. Easy to see they stuck the Daewoo grille in place of the original Ssanyong one. Maybe Daewoo could have kept the Ssanyong brand as its "Lexus"...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.