VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search and couldn't find a definitive conclusion regarding the durability of 17" SSR Competitions for daily driving...?
Some say for track/competition use only and some say no problems with daily driving. Obviously avoiding the big potholes is key to longevity for any wheel, but in general I'd like to know if SSRs light weight is worth the $ in the long run.
Currently have a set of 18" RS4 replicas that I'd [possibly] like to replace with a lighter set of 17s (however @ $355ea it might be a while!)
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
719 Posts
The SSR's are a forged wheel, so they are going to be stronger and lighter than most any cast wheel on the market. I personally have been running the SSR Comps in 17x8 versions for the last 6500 miles or so on all types of road conditions, and they are as durable as any forged wheel out there. I have hit a few potholes, and never a bend, scrape or dent. The wheels are very light and very strong, they are just fine for use as a daily wheel. If you are concerned about bending them (which you shouldn't be unless you are out offroading with them) you can run a slightly larger 235/45/17 tire. It is about .35" taller than a 225/45 and it will give a little more cushion for the wheel. Although you shouldn't worry about it, they are strong wheels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.