VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 gli Autobahn when I am driving 80 on the hwy I have to say its not stable I don't know if its the tires or something else or the rear is to light I never had a car do I have 2011 Jetta that doesn't do so that's why I am baffled

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not stable how? I can do 90 easily without any issues. Had the stock tires for the first 10 months and recently switched to my favorites Continental EXtreme Contact DWS and really don't feel any instability. The car actually rides quieter now.

I will add as a side note, that my main concern is how easy it is to go from 75 to 95mph in 6th gear without noticing it too much.

·
Registered
2021 Jetta SEL
45 Posts
I have an SEL and I find it to be "unstable" on the highway too. What I mean by that is I have to do a lot of small corrections with the steering wheel. I think it's because it's a small car and has a soft suspension. So it gets pushed around a lot in the wind.

Or maybe it's always been a windy day when I take it on the highway. I've only owned the car for about 2 weeks.

·
Banned
53,545 Posts
I have an SEL and I find it to be "unstable" on the highway too. What I mean by that is I have to do a lot of small corrections with the steering wheel. I think it's because it's a small car and has a soft suspension. So it gets pushed around a lot in the wind.

Or maybe it's always been a windy day when I take it on the highway. I've only owned the car for about 2 weeks.
I would very surprised that any VW would be unstable and any attainable road speed. VW designs all their vehicles to be suitable for the European driving environment, even if not sold there. All my VW over the last 40 years have tracked like an arrow with very little input from the driver other than to deviate from straight. The Mk7 Jetta is far from being small and does not have a soft suspension. Never had a VW other than my Vanagon that "gets pushed around by the wind"

You need to check your tires and that they have a proper pressure.

·
Banned
53,545 Posts
.....or the rear is to light I never had a car do I have 2011 Jetta that doesn't do so that's why I am baffled....
The rear of your Mk7 Jetta is certainly not lighter than your 2011 Jetta. If a Mk7 Jetta is not tracking straight and isn't very stable at speed it would most likely be improper tire pressures or a defective tire.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this is what is going on its hard to keep it in a straight line you always correct yourself you may be right maybe a bad tire or out of balance but I know something is not right I will take in to the dealer and hope they will figure it out

·
Registered
108 Posts
It can get pretty windy on the highways by me and the car does get pushed around in the wind at high speeds. I have a 21 GLI autobahn

·
Registered
79 Posts
It's a light car, mine gets pushed around by the wind a lot also. It also hydroplanes a lot more than other cars I've had. The stock tires aren't all that great.

·
Registered
18 DUNE Beetle convertible, 19 GLI Autobahn DSG
25 Posts
I have a 2019 GLI Autobahn and mine drives the same, plus I know of several other people with the same issue as well.

The car needs constant correction and gets pushed around by wind when highway driving over 60 mph. It's not the tire nor the tire pressure, since it also happens when I switch to my winter setup. Next time I'm in for service I'll ask for an alignment to see if that helps.

Good luck, and let us know if you find a solution.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 2021 gli Autobahn when I am driving 80 on the hwy I have to say its not stable I don't know if its the tires or something else or the rear is to light I never had a car do I have 2011 Jetta that doesn't do so that's why I am baffled
My 2019 autobahn IS stable at "closed course track speeds"
I would take it to the dealer with your complaint... The 2021 autobahn has Adaptive Chassis Control (DCC), it sounds like it might need to be RE-calibrated. also could just be crappy/defective tires...

·
Registered
2020 GLI Autobahn
76 Posts
I'd definitely suggest to anyone experiencing any kind of instability, steering drift or offset at any realistic speeds to check in with the dealer when they can. It's definitely not been my experience and I don't think the car has a general reputation for that kind of thing so it's worth having them look into mechanical or software/calibration issues.

·
Registered
2021 Jetta SEL
45 Posts
I'd definitely suggest to anyone experiencing any kind of instability, steering drift or offset at any realistic speeds to check in with the dealer when they can. It's definitely not been my experience and I don't think the car has a general reputation for that kind of thing so it's worth having them look into mechanical or software/calibration issues.
In my experience, every time I take a car to the dealer for something not obviously wrong, like a wheel falling off, they say it's supposed to be that way, or that there is nothing they can do. I can't imagine them saying "yea you are right it's a little squirrely on the highway, we'll get that fixed right up for you." The defect is too objective.

Just look at all the trouble 2019 owners have had with their grinding transmissions. Over and over they are told it's normal.

·
Registered
2020 GLI Autobahn
76 Posts
In my experience, every time I take a car to the dealer for something not obviously wrong, like a wheel falling off, they say it's supposed to be that way, or that there is nothing they can do. I can't imagine them saying "yea you are right it's a little squirrely on the highway, we'll get that fixed right up for you." The defect is too objective.

Just look at all the trouble 2019 owners have had with their grinding transmissions. Over and over they are told it's normal.
I'm sure this depends on your dealer. You could also find a local independent VW mechanic to take a look. I guess beyond that I'm not sure what to say. The cars shouldn't be unstable at any speed on a highway so whatever instability someone is experiencing isn't normal.

·
Registered
2021 GLI Autobahn w/ Black Package
16 Posts
Are the GLI Autobahn guys using Lane Assist? I've found the lane assist in the GLI behaves much differently than my previous Alltrack. The Alltrack only seemed to kick in if you were getting very near the line, and it would be very obvious when assitance was active. The GLI seems to make a lot of small adjustments even when I'm actively controlling the steering wheel, and you don't get as strong as a sense when it kicks in. I've turned it off in the GLI as it's more of an annoyance despite daily interstate travel. Perhaps lane assist is helping the car wonder all over the lane?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Are the GLI Autobahn guys using Lane Assist? I've found the lane assist in the GLI behaves much differently than my previous Alltrack. The Alltrack only seemed to kick in if you were getting very near the line, and it would be very obvious when assitance was active. The GLI seems to make a lot of small adjustments even when I'm actively controlling the steering wheel, and you don't get as strong as a sense when it kicks in. I've turned it off in the GLI as it's more of an annoyance despite daily interstate travel. Perhaps lane assist is helping the car wonder all over the lane?
Nope I turn off lane assist n auto start/stop every time I even sit in the car. The car is 1000+ lbs less than my last car so it’s just the weight coupled wit the wind imo

·
Registered
40 Posts

Where is the forum thread about this issue? I want to read more about it, thank you!

·
Registered
2021 Jetta SEL
45 Posts
I happened to have a 45 minute (each way) highway drive today. The car handled pretty well. Not as stable as my last vehicle, but not terrible. So maybe my previous experiences with the Jetta happened to be very windy days. The wind is pretty mild today.

I did get nearly 45 mpg, which is pretty awesome.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
FWIW my 19 Autobahn is rock steady at 90mph. I’m not on stock rubber.

·
Registered
2019 GLI Autobahn 6MT
2,112 Posts
FWIW my 19 Autobahn is rock steady at 90mph. I’m not on stock rubber.
Mine, too -- even on crappy stock rubber. These cars are German engineered - e.g. real autobahn driving. They should not be at all unstable at typical U.S. highway speeds. (Sure, if it's gusting 30+ you'd probably feel that, but otherwise no. On extra windy days I find some large tailed SUV to draft - saves a little gas, too)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts