VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not finding the answers to the questions I'm turning over in my head.

First, I have a 2006 GLI with 55k on it, original owner, loved it for the first year, and have tolerated it since. I had an issue a couple weeks ago and finally found a dealership I can trust. They fixed the problem and it seems to run better than it has in two or more years. I'm liking "Helga" again.

Every TSB or recalled component written for the 06 has failed on my car, except for the HPFP cam follower... Go figure:screwy:

Here in Louisiana, it gets hot and humid. Really, it does. For the past couple years, anything over 80 degrees peels away at least 20% or more of my torque. Imagine what 100+ degree does.

Has anyone else's all stock FSI gone "dead" like this over time with no detectable mechanical problem? Under 70 degrees is a world of difference, but still not up to snuff. Well, as I said before it is doing better than the past couple years, but...

Now to my intended question:

1. What about APR stage 1? I guess most on this board are chipped. Did you chip because you were feeling underwhelmed or was the engine seeming to loose its mojo?

2. If your engine was losing its manhood due to normal wear (can this be considered normal?) what did stage one chip do for you? I'm confident Southwest VW of Lafayette, LA was thorough. They did get it running much better than before, but said everything else is in normal parameters. So, having said that...

3. What can I expect from the stage 1 chip? Sure, I read the claims and had a couple email sessions with them (who I value very much already) but I get the impression their stage 1 claims are with other mods installed.

4. How many APR chip users out there have had their chip detected by the dealer? I'm thinking NOTHING is bulletproof and eventually VAG COM will be able to detect it. So, what can they fault me with if I'm ever detected?

5 Finally, in you honest opinion, what are the cons of the stage 1? I've read many pros, but don't really know if I'll have like success. I guess if I can't find enough cons, maybe I'll finally take the plunge. In other words, make my mind up for me!:laugh:

· Registered
4,173 Posts
if your worried about heat soak, which i know we suffer with because i live on Satan's left testicle (FL), your really needing a better intercooler or maybe water/meth injection.

I am waiting for DO to get their pumps back in stock, and ill be installing my WM kit here super soon to regain all my lost power in the heat, and then make a ton more as im laying into her.

as far as chipping goes.. its all good.

unless you plan on going BT, id def recommend either REVO or GIAC as they seem to put down awesome power, especially with the ability to tweak REVO.

I am running APR stage 2 and it just doesn't put down as much power as the other locals who have similar mods to me, and I have no mechanical issues and all logs show my car is doing great, except for timing pull because of the heat. :banghead:

as for other supporting mods to regain lost power, replace the DV with the new stock one, or an EJ or Forge one. Replace the PCV system with either an VTA or a recirc option, and make sure your intercooler piping isnt packed with the oil your PCV system dumps in there over time.

· Registered
13 Posts
I have had my car chipped, APR Stage 1, for less than a year now, and I lived in TX when I got it done and now I am in FL, so similar heat conditions.

1. I got my car chipped simply because it is the best hp and torque increase for the money. Also because it is simple and there are not any requirements for other modifications.

2. Stage 1 is a significant increase in hp and torque, mostly torque, and it can definitely be felt while driving. I would also say that if you stay on top of the regular maintenance that, at least in my case, the car does not feel significantly slower over time. I am sure that you have heard this over and over, but you really do need to check the PCV, DV, and cam follower regularly and keep 5k oci. I have done all of them with the dealer while chipped and under warranty.

3. The only mod I have now is a CAI, and I really don't believe it adds significantly to the effect of the chip.

4. If you are unsure about the chip and how your dealer will respond, call them and ask them. I called my trusted service guy and asked about performance modifications and he is the one that actually recommended the APR chip. However, before taking a chipped car to the dealer ALWAYS put it back into stock mode. Just because your service guy doesn't mind does not mean the technician will feel the same. At the very least while in stock mode and the problem persists, they should not be able to blame it on the chip (depends on the problem though).

5 Honestly, I really like my APR chip. But I also agree that I feel like the dealer will eventually find out about it and it will bite me for some repair. It hasn't happened yet and I have had all of the things above and an Mechatronics changed out and all my regular services done, so each time I feel a little better about it.

I would say that if you are leaning towards APR stage 1, go get the trial flash, drive it and decide. Also, you should wait until APR has a sale going on that will let you get a fully-loaded flash for regular price. They do it pretty often and it really is a good deal. Better to have the options and not need them rather than need them and not have them.

· Registered
1,176 Posts
I am running APR stage 2 and it just doesn't put down as much power as the other locals who have similar mods to me, and I have no mechanical issues and all logs show my car is doing great, except for timing pull because of the heat. :banghead:
Wait until you get the W/M Not sure how my car does to other cars with diff tunes but I do know my car pulls hard with the 100oct on APR stg2.:thumbup: It is a definite difference from 93oct-100oct.

· Registered
6,829 Posts
if your worried about heat soak, which i know we suffer with because i live on Satan's left testicle (FL), your really needing a better intercooler or maybe water/meth injection.
OMGROFLMAO!!!:laugh: Im gonna try the S3 FMIC aswell as this snow performance stg2 map w/m kit when i get chipped soon. That should make worlds of difference!:thumbup:

· Registered
4,173 Posts
yeah, im going with this WM kit (if it ever ****ing ships!!!!! :banghead: ) and the EJ IC when its out. :beer:

below ambient temps, here i come!!!

· Registered
6,261 Posts
im stg 2 and i was able to feel heat soak on my gli on hot days in NYC. for that reason i got me a forge FMIC. problem fixed my friend. i run hard even with ac on. lol :beer:

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im stg 2 and i was able to feel heat soak on my gli on hot days in NYC. for that reason i got me a forge FMIC. problem fixed my friend. i run hard even with ac on. lol :beer:
When you say you were at stage 2, does that mean you had the APR FMIC?

Anyway, I'm just more curious about any reliability and detectability problems from installing the stage 1 chip.

From what I described earlier, it's obvious I'm suffering heat soak (who isn't around here) but if I were to install stage 1, it should make me grin on normal days, but shouldn't I still have grinnable power even with heat soak temps?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.