VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i wanna take my 2006 gti to stage 2 but im pretty new to this and need some information. Right now i have a straight pipe and cold air intake. I also got audi R8 ignition coils. I want a stage 2 clutch before i add any power. I don’t know what a good price for a stage 2 clutch is and I don’t know where I should look. I also think i need an intercooler but if its not necessary I probably wont get one. Also i dont really know the best way to get my car tuned. If anyone that has gone through this process would like to share some information it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i would probably recommend upgrading your suspension if it's not done already... i would actually do that before adding the power... i have a factory clutch in mine and it handles my stage 2+ mods just fine... put that money into lowering your car getting some beefier sway bars and the like...

as far as getting it tuned... it's a matter of flashing your ecu with stage 2 software... most tuner shops will do it and that's the best way to go since typically they have done it many times before... and will iron out any issues before you get the car back... i would work with the tuner shop to figure out what you're going to need to compliment the tune... for instance i have a golf R cam, forge twintake, aluminum intercooler from an S3, pvc delete and a mishimoto radiator and silicone hoses and a bunch of other stuff that compliments stage 2 but isn't necessarily required... that's why i say consulting with the local tuner is the best way to go...

lots of people like the APR stage 2 tune...
from the APR website:
The APR Stage 2 ECU Upgrade is the next step towards making more power! This simple upgrade requires an exhaust system and no other engine hardware modifications and produces 259-283 HP with 277-313 FT-LBS of torque. To get more power, the vehicle can be outfitted with an upgraded intake, intercooler, and various other bolt-on modifications all without requiring any new modifications to the ECU.

APR Stage 2 is available for 91 AKI, 93 AKI, and 100 AKI in North America, and 95 RON, 98 RON, and 104 AKI in the Rest of the World.

Of course APR is just one option... lots of companies make Stage 2 programs for our cars... like your local tuner may use another companies Stage 2 software and add their own flourishes... so you know. it pays to shop around if you live in a town big enough to have more than one tuner around....

If you can't work with a mechanic i would spend like 6 months reading everything i could before attempting it myself... better left to the professionals if at all possible methinks...

good luck!

this dude talks about his stage 2 set up in detail

1 - 3 of 3 Posts