VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, so I just bought a 2016 S3 with only 16,000 miles on it, extended warranty until 60,000 miles or 5 years...but I'm now at 22,000 miles and looking for more power. I've already decided I'm just going to go straight to Stage 2, however, I'm throwing away the extended warranty that I paid extra for haha so I want to make sure I do it right. So, I just wanted to know if you guys had any additional recommendations on any further modifications to complete the Stage 2 build, was mainly considering a DSG cooler (and maybe an oil cooler), although I wouldn't track the car at all but I do drive pretty aggressively on a regular basis. Also, how do the DQ250 transmissions hold up to 460lb of torque, most people say you don't need clutch packs or transmission modifications beyond a TCU tune until you hit Stage 3+ but I figured I'd ask anyways. The EA388 I'm fairly confident in as an engine especially as this is a 4 year old car now so any of the early failures would be warrantied out by now and I've had my mechanic give me the OK on the car before modifying. But I just want to do it right so, let me know if you have any more recommendations.

This is what I'm doing:

IE Stage 2 ECU and TCU tune
034 Subframe Mount Inserts
034 Dogbone Lower Mount
034 Dogdone Upper Mount
034 Motor/Transmission Mounts, Density Line (was recommended to change these to the BFI set as the 034s wear out in a year or two apparently, but they are $500 more expensive and I am going to sell this car before the 2 year mark likely, will I be OK?)
034 Dynamic+ Endlinks
034 Stainless Steel Brake Lines
APR Ignition Coils
RS7 Spark Plugs
IE FDS Intercooler
IE Cast Downpipe
IE Cold Air Intake
IE Turbo Inlet
H&R Rear Sway Bar (034 is on back order and I'd have to wait weeks)
EBC Red Stuff, front and back.
R1 Concept Carbon Geomet Rotors, front and back

In terms of suspension, I'm fine with the stance of the car I was considering Eibach springs + Bilstein shocks but since I have DCC it gets expensive fast due to the DCC delete kit that I'd have to buy if I replace shocks, and I don't want to just do springs. So shocks/springs or coils + DCC delete kit is another $2000+ (I'm in Canada). So I'm probably not going to go for suspension modifications as on my summer 19s, it fills out the car nicely enough and it's good enough for me. Don't want to deal with DCC headaches either lol

Any recommendations? Anything I should swap out? This is my first MQB car so I'm a complete noob.

Thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You wanna drop 10K into it, to sell it in 2yrs bro? I bought my GTI in new and plan on keeping it forever. Obviously thats just me. You seem like you know exactly what you want to do and have some knowledge. You have to remember anything can go wrong with the car as soon as you add power. Only really safe thing you could honestly do is a protune which would let the tuner know how the car is running. I have Stratified. Guys are great. But there are many others. I will be going EQ once I upgrade the turbo. Good luck dude!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You wanna drop 10K into it, to sell it in 2yrs bro? I bought my GTI in new and plan on keeping it forever. Obviously thats just me. You seem like you know exactly what you want to do and have some knowledge. You have to remember anything can go wrong with the car as soon as you add power. Only really safe thing you could honestly do is a protune which would let the tuner know how the car is running. I have Stratified. Guys are great. But there are many others. I will be going EQ once I upgrade the turbo. Good luck dude!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yeah, I know it doesn’t make much sense to sell so quickly - but for one I got a really good deal on it, bought it for $21K USD so I’m more comfortable putting money in it. But the main reason is I’m moving abroad next May, the cost to move the car and get it registered is far more trouble than it’s worth. I know dumping money in the car doesn’t make financial sense, hell buying an S3 doesn’t make financial sense but car guys be car guys right haha.

was just asking for a purely parts and driving experience perspective, am I doing anything wrong or should I be adding/removing anything to make for a better overall car. You guys are much more knowledgeable than me, so figured I’d ask. But thank you!

·
Registered
766 Posts
I would recommend stage 1 ecu and tcu tunes first. See how you like the car and go from there.

Depending on the tune that's around $1000 give or take and if something is on sale. Most tunes are comparable, pick what's most convenient for you. And lots of tunes include free upgrades or a minimal charge to upgrade (depends on the tune)

Maybe enough to hold you over until you get rid of the car.

But it is your money, just some advice.

And H&R is good stuff, IMHO I would pick over 034.

S3 is a nice car, hope you're enjoying it!

Sent from my LG-H871S using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts