VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
That's a great time with the K03, nice work. I hope my 2+ TTS can do 12's when I finally take it out to the track.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So folks, I am starting to map out the next wave of mods (list below)... what else should/could I do?

*Bigger IC
The APR IC sounds pretty awesome, but the price isn't. I am likely to give the S3/TTS/mk6 :R IC a try.

*Meth/water injection
Meth/water injection is cool but the car would have to be able to adjust, on its own, to the increase in octane since no ECU map for anything greater than 93 AKI exists.

*TCU/DSG upgrade
TCU/DSG would be ncie but again... price. Maybe an APR sale will make it appealing enough.

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
So folks, I am starting to map out the next wave of mods (list below)... what else should/could I do?

*Bigger IC
The APR IC sounds pretty awesome, but the price isn't. I am likely to give the S3/TTS/mk6 :R IC a try.
The S3/TTS IC provides minimal benefit over stock. Not worth the cost and time to install it. There are plenty of used APR ICs that can be had in the $600-800 range.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Curious how the DSG flash would effect those numbers. Being it's your DD, the DSG flash might be the most fun of the upgrades,
Yea, I agree. I am quite interested in the DSG flash. A Buffalo local TTS has done the DSG upgrade so I plan to touch base with him see how it is working out for him. It's just another $500 (on sale) to dump in to the car... With the mk3 release in the US looming and the 2.0 ea888 upgrades from APR starting to trickle out... mk3 is looking mighty tempting. I expect the TT to get a slightly more fettled version of the valvelift ea888 which is in the GTI and A3 which hopefully means more tq and power SOONER in the rev range.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yea, I agree. I am quite interested in the DSG flash. A Buffalo local TTS has done the DSG upgrade so I plan to touch base with him see how it is working out for him. It's just another $500 (on sale) to dump in to the car... With the mk3 release in the US looming and the 2.0 ea888 upgrades from APR starting to trickle out... mk3 is looking mighty tempting. I expect the TT to get a valvelift version of the ea888 which is in the GTI and A3 which means more tq and power SOONER in the rev range.
I need to get it to the 1/4. Lemme know when you are going next.

As I mentioned to you the 1/8 track seems slower this year by about .4 seconds for some reason.

FYI with the dsg flash I ran an 8.1 last week. Down from my 8.7 a few weeks ago. Also worth mentioning is all wheel tire spin at launch at the track.

8.1 beats my best last year of 8.2.

If last WED is any indication. I am running about the middle of the pack for what the motorcycles are running.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I need to get it to the 1/4. Lemme know when you are going next.

As I mentioned to you the 1/8 track seems slower this year by about .4 seconds for some reason.
FYI with the dsg flash I ran an 8.1 last week. Down from my 8.7 a few weeks ago. Also worth mentioning is all wheel tire spin at launch at the track.
8.1 beats my best last year of 8.2.
If last WED is any indication. I am running about the middle of the pack for what the motorcycles are running.
My go this Fri... not sure yet. Will let you know.

What RPM did you set LC to hover at? Stock mine sits around 3500, my guess TTS is same. For awd cars, is an optimal launch RPM @ the intersection of peak hp and tq?

Side note...LC in new 991 911 turbo holds around 5500 and sounds spitty and nasty!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Tried to have the TCU on my 2011 TTS Friday and of course they don't have my box code available. I was really hoping to get to try the new trans programming from APR. My dealer says he will follow up to check on the availability, however I'm not holding my breath. Has anyone here run the HPA version to compare?

·
Registered
400 Posts
My go this Fri... not sure yet. Will let you know.

What RPM did you set LC to hover at? Stock mine sits around 3500, my guess TTS is same. For awd cars, is an optimal launch RPM @ the intersection of peak hp and tq?

Side note...LC in new 991 911 turbo holds around 5500 and sounds spitty and nasty!
Mine would hold at 3200 initial bump would be to 3500 stock.

I have mine set at 3800 per APR the bump goes to about 4000 now.

The new s6/7 launch at 5500 also. Crazy.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
2011 Audi TT Front Sway Bar Link Install

Right... Finally a new update!

I finally had a chance to install my Whiteline front swaybar links.

"Change per buck" or to be agnostic to the rest of the world... "change per money" this mod oddly or not provided the cheapest change in character to date (for me). Long story short... these links resulted in a significant increase in feedback. Steering input feels much more immediate and responsive.

So the details...
I daily drive my base model TT and I live in the absolutely miserable city of Buffalo. Winters here are obviously the worst aspect of living in this portion of America and despite this winter being particularly horrible, even during quite mild winters the ice melting salt scattered all over all streets does nothing but challenge the anti-corrosion coatings/process steps applied to any & all components of your car.

Long story short, roughly a year ago I had isc coilovers installed. Yes, their cheap but effective... But yes still cheap so moving on. The sway bar links provided by isc are, for lack of a better word, crap. Adequate but crap (expected for the price...).

12ish or so months later, 4 nuts on the 4 studs of the isc provided sway bar links, they were corroded beyond comprehension. Structurally, the hardware was still sound, but service-ability was... Deleted. Nuts and bolts were seized.

Wrenching was attempted. I succeed in removing like of 1 nut from the 4 studs... And it was far from easy. The rest of the nuts, hack sawed off. A casual day in the garage fluctuated in & out of rust rage.

Once the damper bodies & sway bar were free, clear & ready to accept new sway bar links, install was a breeze.

Tightened everything up, measure and make sure links are basically equal length then go for a drive.

The steering input/feedback was akin to riding a road bike vs. A fat bike on snow. Initial feeling was: twitchy. Which imo, is a thumbs up! I have grown up in the video game era so I enjoy a bit of the "Playstation feel" which some journalists often talk down about.

The purpose of all this, ... Corner weighting. This shall come later this spring/summer.

Some pics:

Damn you you rusty ****ers... chopped!

I have installed rear sway bar links made by Whiteline as well. That install was a bit easier... but not trivial. The OEM sway bar links, the studs disintegrated. Upon attempting to turn the OEM links, the metal literally just fractured like glass. It made the removal of those parts a massive p.i.t.a.

Suggestions: If you live and drive in a corrosion high region... consider running a thread die over your rust ass threads. This may... help you remove the nuts and bolts required. Or... skip attempting to conventionally unscrew and just cut the rusty ****ers off.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Brake job coming up this weekend.

New rotors (Centric blanks, OEM size) are still in transit to my door... but here's the good stuff. Ferodo DS2500 brake pads and RBS600.

My only concern is, where/what do I do with the OEM pad wear sensor? It is not obvious to me where it would go into on these Ferodo pads... Perhaps it will be obvious once I pull the stock pads off.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'm guessing your 3d printed solution is the best solution of all for the downpipe bracket fitment issue, but I ended up cutting the arm off instead of the bracket. With it cut, I mounted it to the bracket and am getting a buddy to come over and spot weld the cut piece back onto the dp in the new position.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I'm guessing your 3d printed solution is the best solution of all for the downpipe bracket fitment issue, but I ended up cutting the arm off instead of the bracket. With it cut, I mounted it to the bracket and am getting a buddy to come over and spot weld the cut piece back onto the dp in the new position.
I unfortunately have not had the time to design anything to be printed... but soon I hope.
The spot weld should do the trick.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Corner Balanced

The other day I corner balanced my car. Results are in the image below. Best part, didn't need any tools.

So the details:
top image is without driver
bottom image is with driver
trunk contains some junk (oem stuff like: track jack, tools, etc.)
Fuel tank was a needle or two widths above 1/4.

In summary, this is a light car (by Audi standards at least)!
Weight distribution is ~59/41 (F/R)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Revs, Launches, Exhaust Noise!

Here are some recent audio clips I captured from the back end of my TT. Enjoy...:

second video coming soon!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Revs, Launches, Exhaust Noise!

Here are some recent audio clips I captured from the back end of my TT. Enjoy...:

second video coming soon!

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.