VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 convert new beetle. Not sure if weather has anything to do with the problem so let me say it was 8 degrees last night, very cold.

I was driving home from a friend's house, going about 35 mph and the car just died. Stopped running and the red battery light came on. Yikes I couldn't press the brakes and could hardly steer but I did get it to the side of the road. I waited a minute and it started and got me the remaining 3 miles home with no problem. I'm guessing the battery is maybe 3 years old. I've never had any problems starting the car in any weather.

I'm guessing it's the battery or the alternator (not sure really) so how do i figure that out? Or could it be another issue?

Thanks,

Susan

·
Registered
54 Posts
Did you have any of the issues before and after the engine turned off? When the engine is off you will of course have no power steering and no brake boost and the battery light will be on. Was the battery light on before the engine turned off? Was it on after it started again?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't have any issues like this before. I wasn't paying attention to my gauges, it was dark so I was paying attention to the road. When I felt the power steering go out I looked down and the red battery light was on. I was struggling to get it off the road safely. I turned it off and it started right up - no red battery light after re-starting it. I drove home with no issues and it started this morning with no problems. I didn't drive it this morning but just started it and ran it for about 10 minutes. It's so darn cold out today I don't really want to have it stall out again and be stuck somewhere. Tomorrow it will be warmer so I'll drive it over to my son in laws workplace to see how it runs.

Did you have any of the issues before and after the engine turned off? When the engine is off you will of course have no power steering and no brake boost and the battery light will be on. Was the battery light on before the engine turned off? Was it on after it started again?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Might be icing in the fuel line. As long as the car started up after failure it isn't the battery. I have no idea what it will turn out to be ,but I know that condensation will form with warm and cold days in the tank and get picked up by the engine. was the tank almost full? It happens a lot in diesels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, the tank is less than half full.

Might be icing in the fuel line. As long as the car started up after failure it isn't the battery. I have no idea what it will turn out to be ,but I know that condensation will form with warm and cold days in the tank and get picked up by the engine. was the tank almost full? It happens a lot in diesels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts