VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's the problem:
I can be driving along fine without any problems, BUT when I come to a stop sign or light and I let off the gas pedal (therby letting the RPM's returning to normal - i.e. idling) the car stalls. The engine quits. SO at any stop now I have to keep my revs up so it doesn't die. When I can manage to let off the gas without it dying, the idle begins to dip up and down.
Like I said, under load it's fine. But at a stop it dies. Also, when I start it up cold (in the morning) it starts and dies about 2 or 3 times until it will maintain an idle but as soon as I touch the gas, it hesitates and I have to feather the gas until it evens out. The cold start issue sounds to me like a warm up regulator issue maybe.
What could be wrong? My timing may need to be adjusted some but that couldn't account for my problems could it?
The fuel pump was replaced in Feb. as well as the plugs, wires and the injectors were checked and were fine.
PLEASE help me!!!

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (VWgordo)

Don't I need a special tool to set the idle? I forget how to do it anyway.
Thanks VWgordo!

Anyone else

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
you are thinking of the mixture adjustment between the fuel dizzy and the air plenum. on the back of your throttle body there is a screw that adjusts the idle. while looking into the engine bay (from front of car) turn the screw towards the drivers side to raise the idle. 10mm i think(?).

·
Registered
242 Posts
dont forget to clamp off the hose to the idle stabilizer valve before setting the idle.....and if I were you I wouldnt mess with the co settings(the hole on the airbox) w/o a tailpipe gas analyzer .........CIS is definitely best when you "set it and forget it"...if it goes out of whack something is usually physically wrong.... as for the cold start issues, welcome to 20yr old dubs:) replacing the warm up regulator might help, but also might not.... just my 2 cents!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts