VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to buy 97 cabrio from a vw dealership but i keeps stalling and they can't figure out why any one got any suggestions. They have already replaced the catalytic convertor and a sensor, not sure which one, yet the problem persists.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Re: stalling cabrio, any suggestion? (Closey)

Quote, originally posted by Closey »
got any suggestions?

"Don't buy it"
Honestly, if the car is sat there with a problem they can't solve doesn't that tell you something about the vehicle itself and the competency of the dealership? Especially since what they are trying is essentially unrelated to the problem (which is likely related to a dirty MAF, TB, or a bad ground if the car just stalls while idling).
I believe that any car that fights you should fall into one of these categories before you consider buying it, in order of personal preference:
1. You have the skills to be able to fix it yourself
2. The price offsets the cost of repair
3. Your pockets are deep enough to throw money at the problem
Let's consider that the dealership does 'solve' this problem. A few months from now what's going to happen if this problem recurrs? Are you willing to learn to fix it yourself? Do you have a trusted VW mechanic? Or, can you afford to give the dealership $90 an hour to test random things and indiscriminately bolt on new parts?
The choice is yours.

Modified by -vertigo- at 1:34 PM 6-19-2006

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: (-vertigo-)

tell them you want to take it over the weekend for a test drive...
my dealer was more than happy to let me... til i took it back with the check engine light on... i only put a few hundred miles on it too...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.