VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stalling/CEL, ESP and EPC Lights on - PROBLEM SOLVED

Hoping you all may be able to help me out. I ran a search but didn't find my problem exactly.
How Problem Began: I floored it in first and shifted at redline. As soon as I shifted to second, car bogged down big time, CEL/ESP/EPC came on.
Problem: When starting cold, I put the car into 1st or reverse and and it nearly stalls out. I hear a sort of machine gun like sound almost like when a plug wire is loose. There seem to be issues in the 800-2000 rpm range, no problems above that and no apparent loss of power or fuel economy (average 29mpg from OBX to Wilmington this past weekend).
I cleaned the MAF and also tried a new one that I had bought a while back. This does not fix the problem.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Steve

Modified by euclid at 1:01 PM 8-7-2008

· Registered
320 Posts
Re: Stalling/CEL, ESP and EPC Lights on (euclid)

strange, almost the exact thing happened to me about 2 years ago
I was "acclerating briskly" next to another car and when i hit second all the lights lit up.
It was a bad MAF, and a new one fixed it, maybe the one you had was also bad? just a thought

· Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok - I took the other MAF out and thoroughly cleaned it with the CRC cleaner, let it dry for a couple hours, put it in the car. Started it up and the ESP/EPC indicators went out, but the CEL stayed on. After driving for a couple hours yesterday, the CEL has gone off and has remained steady since. I took the car in for my 85k service this morning and they said everything checked out.
So, moral of the story is when in doubt test the MAF out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.