VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I get a stand alone system, do I have to go with a cable throttle or not? can this be done DBW?
Oh and if I have to cable throttle can I do without changing ECU as I am now stand alone? in other words can I just get the part out of say a scrapper Audi 1.8T or older 1.8T from VW

[Modified by FYGTBUG, 12:32 AM 4-10-2002]

·
Registered
197 Posts
Re: Stand Alone? (FYGTBUG)

Most stand alones have only a throttle position input, at least MoTec does. Therefore, you would probably have to use a cable throttle and ditch the DBW throttle. Unless there is some way to leave that portion of the ECU functional, but that would cause many difficulties I imagine. I will research this further and post any new info I find out.

·
Registered
197 Posts

If you decide to do this, may I suggest you do it through an experienced tuner. One who uses stand alones on a daily basis and has access to dyno testing. Dyno puls are the only way to tune a car with stand alones and it also takes much experience with the stand alone's software to get optimum results.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Stand Alone? (Boostin20v)

I intend to next time I talk to them, if I had the money I would just get it all done while my car is there, but I dont so I have to wait.
Or do it myself in the future.

[Modified by FYGTBUG, 9:26 AM 4-10-2002]

·
Registered
4,763 Posts

If you have enough inputs and outputs, a good stand alone ECU should be able to control DBW. It would add a whole other area to be tuned, but it is possible.
The pedal sends 0-5 volts to the ECU, the ECU sends 0-5 volts to the TB. 0 volts being a closed TB and 5 volts being WOT. This is just a basic as it can be. You need to take throttle response into consideration as a linear throttle map would not make for a very smooth driving car.
Whether or not the OEM DBW stuff would work for this has yet to be seen, but if someone wanted it bad enough, they could build a pedal with a potentiometer on it to send the input signal to the ECU, then have the ECU send the signal to the TB motor, with what ever modifiers on it that you wanted.
My deal is this. If you can control the DBW, then it is the ultimate setup. m If you can't, then it will just drive you crazy... speaking from experiance here

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Stand Alone? (1.BillyT)

Billy have you any deeper news on the AEM setup? I saw you talking about it in another thread.
For m I am hooked on this next part of the equation, all I really want is to manage fuel a lot better, as the more you add the original chip mapping no longer is as precise right, or certainly as I have seen, when I was with just a chip, the A/F was perfect, now I have added more, its just way too rich at higher rpms and I am loosing too much power up there.
Anyway nuff said.
Somebody make something to tune our beloved 1.8T thats plug, Play and tune...

·
Registered
25,085 Posts

Cant you just get a fuel controler then?? I think a Haltech or soemthing like that does it -- and it just so happens that VWTornado is selling one right now for 250 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Stand Alone? (1.BillyT)

See that I dont need.
Billy if you get a chance throw me an email someday with tips on what I need to know for Stand alone, or piggy back fuel controller, if you get a chance look at these guys http://www.perfectpower.com at the smt5i or the prs, I am looking at both, also check the list of intalls and confirm for me the Bosch Motronic they have if any may be similar to the 1.8T IE Adaptive, from what I understand the #1 problem A/F controllers.
my email is [email protected]
Thanks for your help if you get a chance.

·
Registered
6,247 Posts

Why go stand alone......the stock engine managemant is better than almost every stand alone out there......you can read and access anything through it, true you don't have the ability to tune. But I would just find someone who could burn me custom chips like Giac instead of going through the hassel to get a stand alone up and running.

·
Registered
M340i xDrive
9,131 Posts
Re: Stand Alone? (Toaster29)

quote:[HR][/HR]Why go stand alone......the stock engine managemant is better than almost every stand alone out there......you can read and access anything through it, true you don't have the ability to tune. But I would just find someone who could burn me custom chips like Giac instead of going through the hassel to get a stand alone up and running.[HR][/HR]​
How do you suppose Garrett would be able to tune a custom chip for every unique built system out there? If I lived near GIAC and if I knew the guy real well I'd take my car there for a "custom" chip, but otherwise it just isn't feasible.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Stand Alone? (Toaster29)

As fastgti said, I want standalone so I can tune for each different mod, runs at the track, even daily driving, everything we do has an affect and a chip tuner cant be that precise he has to make a chip that is for every car, and everytime you do a different MOD there is a different variable to look at, besides every time I would go and get a new chip done it'll cost me anywhere from $200 to $600, I can get a standalone in for $1000 to $3500 and then tune to my hearts content.
Ya think the guy running at the track with the fast cars do a new chip each time, no some tech is punching #'s into the management system before each run, they then record data from that run and do it again making slight changes every time.
That's what I want, I may not have the biggest Turbo or most powerful engine but I know there is way more I can get out of it buy tuning, and getting a library of fuel and ignition maps for different conditions, setups and so on.
I AM ADDICTED TO THIS STUFF.
And to think just over a year ago, I drove a Big ass Savanna Van, and had no interest in cars at all. Now I spend way too much time at the track and way more than I can afford on the car........
Plus I am a one man team, anyone out there wanna sponsor me, I'll make ya proud I promise.
Ah whatever, anyway, I want to tune the car to the best I can, and slowly go through the stages, from there it's upgrade by upgrade, paycheck by paycheck, slowly and surely till I cant go any further.
It's a long slow learning process.
If ya wanna teach me, I'll listen, if you wanna knock me and tell me I'm mad, so be it, I am, I admit it, I cant afford to do this, but thats the way it goes. Now if you wanna laugh at me cos I am doing it with a Beetle, then bring it on slapnuts, put your car where your mouth is............
You might get a BIG ASS suprise

[Modified by FYGTBUG, 11:30 PM 4-10-2002]

·
Registered
197 Posts

I e-amiled my buddy at Motec about this, and his reply was that their EMSs can control DBW cars. They have different configurations for different DBW modules, for example, I believe our cars have a Bosch unit. I think almost any stand alone can be configured to control a DBW system.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.