VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

61 - 80 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
It was ok. Many WTF moments, especially in the third act. I got a little verklempt once. All I'll say for now.

·
Chili Bigot
A muscle car (mine), a bugout vic (hers), and a beater (the boy's)
20,085 Posts
W/re to TFA and TLJ, I'll take your word for it. I watched the former three times and each viewing was less enjoyable than the prior. I came out of TLJ underwhelmed and... Revulsion is probably too strong a word, but close to that. I simply can't watch it again, I hated it that much.

I guess Kevin Feige is taking over the property? I love what he did with the first couple phases of the MCU and became less impressed with the more recent outings. Favreau is doing a great job with The Mandalorian and there's talk that he might direct and/or produce the next cycle in the SW franchise.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
W/re to TFA and TLJ, I'll take your word for it. I watched the former three times and each viewing was less enjoyable than the prior. I came out of TLJ underwhelmed and... Revulsion is probably too strong a word, but close to that. I simply can't watch it again, I hated it that much.

I guess Kevin Feige is taking over the property? I love what he did with the first couple phases of the MCU and became less impressed with the more recent outings. Favreau is doing a great job with The Mandalorian and there's talk that he might direct and/or produce the next cycle in the SW franchise.
They haven't really said what Feige is going to do, apart from he is interested in producing "a film", or something to that effect.

As far as anyone knows, they haven't given him the keys to the franchise, yet. And I kinda hope they don't -- SW isn't Marvel and I don't know that what it needs is more Marvelization.

Agree that Favreau seems to get it about as well as anyone, right now, IMO.

·
Chili Bigot
A muscle car (mine), a bugout vic (hers), and a beater (the boy's)
20,085 Posts
I would hope that Feige would be smart enough not to Marvel-ize the SW franchise.

·
Senior Sloth
2,692 Posts
Rogue One is possibly my favorite Star Wars film, might have to watch it again soon.
I'm teetering on R1 being my favorite also. I love everything about that movie: Jen Erso's character, knowing she's on a suicide mission, a phenomenal villian in Krennic, the grittiness of battle, the rebel soldiers knowing they're on a one-way trip, the complete destruction of Blue Squadron, the HammerHead Corvette. It's the whole package. Dammit Disney...you had a gem with this movie.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
I'm teetering on R1 being my favorite also. I love everything about that movie: Jen Erso's character, knowing she's on a suicide mission, a phenomenal villian in Krennic, the grittiness of battle, the rebel soldiers knowing they're on a one-way trip, the complete destruction of Blue Squadron, the HammerHead Corvette. It's the whole package. Dammit Disney...you had a gem with this movie.
That's just it, for me -- it teeters on greatness but never actually tips over into it.

Needed more character development and a re-think on how they portrayed Saw.

And cut the scene with the tentacle monster.

But it's close -- damn close.

·
Registered
22,296 Posts
Jesus was that a good looking trainwreck.

I agree wholeheartedly with my viewing buddy who said TLJ should have never happened. This movie could have stretched and split into two films and we would all be much better for it. As it was IX was too much content stuffed into too short a movie with too many questions left unresolved. Almost felt intentional to give room for more ($$$) literature, TV series, and side story films.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Just saw it. I’ll admit, I was underwhelmed. I had such high hopes, but there is just too much crammed in and too many dumb explanations for the sake of explanations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'16 Fusion Hybrid, '67 Datsun Roadster
19,158 Posts
but at least the space horses weren’t as bad as I was expecting.

The movie was enjoyable. Sure, it had some annoying plot points (like why even bother have the pointy stabby thing that they kept looking for. Could he not remember what was inscribed?), but still was a fun movie to be entertained with. The humor was enough, and not overpowering.

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
36,244 Posts
Have our tickets for Sunday. So we rewatched The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi last night. I have to say... I really liked those 2 movies and I think all the haters totally overblow the negative points. Sure they aren’t perfect, but neither were the originals, it’s just that we were 7 when we saw those so it didn’t matter. (well, at least I was, I'm old) :D

Looking forward to wrapping up this saga and getting on to new stories.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
After time to digest, I think when I see it again with my kids I’ll enjoy it more. Also, I saw it in IMAX projected on an omnimax screen...which is cool but hard to keep track of everything.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Liked it a lot more on 2nd viewing. On the first night we saw it in Dolby Atmos, which I love, but either we had poor seats or the audio wasn't tuned for the room properly. Saw it in a large-format LIE-MAX today and sound was MUCH better. Caught a lot more of the dialog and a particular scene where hearing the distinct voices is pretty important.

Definitely gets you right in the feels in a couple of spots.

My wife bawled more on the second time around :laugh:

This popped up in my Twitter feed today and I think there's a lot of truth here --

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...r-ending-complicated-legacy-star-wars-1264579

(big spoilers inside)

·
Registered
4,326 Posts

The movie was enjoyable. Sure, it had some annoying plot points (like why even bother have the pointy stabby thing that they kept looking for. Could he not remember what was inscribed?), but still was a fun movie to be entertained with. The humor was enough, and not overpowering.
(but the pointy stabby thing had the thing that let her see the specific thing on the thing where the thing was)

(but still, yeah, I get you -- these McGuffin-y parts of SW are always dopey af)

·
Registered
22,296 Posts
It was like being shoved through a movie with an occasional punch in the face of nostalgia but no time to enjoy it before being shoved forward again.
ROTJ was on TV this morning, briefly caught the scene where Leia first meets an Ewok. IX really felt weird because it lacked these character development pauses, too many action sequences rapidly strung together.

·
Registered
14,983 Posts
After time to digest, I think when I see it again with my kids I’ll enjoy it more.

I took my older kids, 10 (boy) and 8 (girl). SW has been a part of my life for 30 years, since I was about 6 years old. I'll admit it was somewhat emotional to have it all come back around and end with my kids by my side. They loved it and I thought it was great. Rushed? Sure. But they loved it and I think in turn I enjoyed it even more. It is not a piece of cinema that will be revered through time, but it made me smile multiple times and my jaw dropped once or twice.

61 - 80 of 130 Posts